Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New Sierra 2 EX Owner

Default Re: New Sierra 2 EX Owner

here is my setup, all Schiit equipment , all Blue Jean Cables. Cambridge Audio CXC Transport, Project Perspective Turntable. This is without a doubt one of the best sounding pair of speakers in this room. i can't believe how good they are by themselves.IMG_7979.jpg
    Last edited by Paddlefoot; 11-28-2019 at 06:54 AM.

Nice system. Are you using Aegirs or Vidars?

Vidars

IMG_8011.jpgIMG_8010.jpg

my new sub i added. Rythmik Audio F12G.. LF 80hz crossover and HF crossover also at 80hz

Quote Originally Posted by davef View Post
    Fully depends on the size of your room. Please send us an email with the details. Also, whenever possible - I never recommend running speakers (any speaker) full range together with a subwoofer. You will not be able to achieve a proper blend.
    I've been "dabbling" in stereo equipment for many years by just getting equipment, listening, and replacing, without much rhyme or reason. I wish I had been more studious in learning the terminology of stereo devices as rolled along. When Dave and others use the term "full range" for speakers, I interpret this to mean that the speaker is allowed to reproduce the full spectrum of sound it was designed to - 20 to 20,000 Hz or 38 to 38,000 Hz with the S2EX. I am also using a subwoofer (Rhythmic F12). The speakers (Sierra 2's with EX conversion) are connected to my amp's (McIntosh MC7200) L/R outputs. The sub is connected is connected the my preamp's (McIntosh C37) pre-out output. I would take this to mean that both speakers and sub are operating at "full range." However, Dave does not recommend this. Since Dave has forgotten more than I'll ever know, I'm wondering how I would correct this. My preamp does not have any base correction built in. So, is a different preamp needed? I've looking at Parasound P6 or P7 preamps and these two (among others) seem like they would correct my perceived problem, since they both do base correction. Reading other threads about center speakers, adding one of these might help answering my wife's constant question of "What did they say?" when watching movies or TV shows. That's why the P7 is in my list - multiple speaker outputs. The MC7200 amp doesn't have multiple speaker outlets. Placement of a center speaker would be somewhat difficult, but doable. But, back to "full range" discussion. Is there a way to achieve what Dave is recommending without getting a different preamp? The listening area is a great room open on one side to a hallway and kitchen area. The actual room is about 3100 ft^3 with a sloped ceiling. Any help here would be greatly appreciated, especially a layman's definition of "full range." Thank you in advance for any help.

Not trying to hijack this thread. Mods: Please move this post if needed or tell me to re-post as separate thread. THX
    Last edited by rickm; 12-18-2019 at 01:34 PM. Reason: Forgot hijacking disclaimer.

You may want to check out minidsp.com. something like the following may work for you.

https://www.minidsp.com/products/min...minidsp-2x4-hd

Quote Originally Posted by racrawford65 View Post
    You may want to check out minidsp.com. something like the following may work for you.

https://www.minidsp.com/products/min...minidsp-2x4-hd
    He should be able to use the crossover on the sub amp, along with sub amp’s RCA inputs and outputs. The L/R sub output would go to the power amp.
    -curtis

Quote Originally Posted by curtis View Post
    He should be able to use the crossover on the sub amp, along with sub amp’s RCA inputs and outputs. The L/R sub output would go to the power amp.
    Most recent versions of F12 do not have high passed outputs.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Quote Originally Posted by rickm View Post
    I've been "dabbling" in stereo equipment for many years by just getting equipment, listening, and replacing, without much rhyme or reason. I wish I had been more studious in learning the terminology of stereo devices as rolled along. When Dave and others use the term "full range" for speakers, I interpret this to mean that the speaker is allowed to reproduce the full spectrum of sound it was designed to - 20 to 20,000 Hz or 38 to 38,000 Hz with the S2EX. I am also using a subwoofer (Rhythmic F12). The speakers (Sierra 2's with EX conversion) are connected to my amp's (McIntosh MC7200) L/R outputs. The sub is connected is connected the my preamp's (McIntosh C37) pre-out output. I would take this to mean that both speakers and sub are operating at "full range." However, Dave does not recommend this. Since Dave has forgotten more than I'll ever know, I'm wondering how I would correct this. My preamp does not have any base correction built in. So, is a different preamp needed? I've looking at Parasound P6 or P7 preamps and these two (among others) seem like they would correct my perceived problem, since they both do base correction. Reading other threads about center speakers, adding one of these might help answering my wife's constant question of "What did they say?" when watching movies or TV shows. That's why the P7 is in my list - multiple speaker outputs. The MC7200 amp doesn't have multiple speaker outlets. Placement of a center speaker would be somewhat difficult, but doable. But, back to "full range" discussion. Is there a way to achieve what Dave is recommending without getting a different preamp? The listening area is a great room open on one side to a hallway and kitchen area. The actual room is about 3100 ft^3 with a sloped ceiling. Any help here would be greatly appreciated, especially a layman's definition of "full range." Thank you in advance for any help.

Not trying to hijack this thread. Mods: Please move this post if needed or tell me to re-post as separate thread. THX
    Hi Rick, look for a pre-amp or processor with bass management, that is the proper terminology to look for.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Quote Originally Posted by rickm View Post

I’ve owned both the P6 and currently the p7. Both pair extremely well with the ascends. I have Towers with RAALs and dual Rythmik 15’s as a reference point. The bass management on both preamps works very well, each does it in a different way but the end result is the same. Good luck!