Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Sierra Mini Tower idea (I know I know)

Default Re: Sierra Mini Tower idea (I know I know)

I have only had one Horizon, it is very dynamic. When they first came out there was a thread about using them as stereo mains. I believe you can order them in this configuration with the tweeter rotated 90 Deg.
    Blutarsky
    PS, love the image, it is on the tip of my tongue, where it originated?

Hey Blutarsky!

Yeah, I've read that the Horizons have a lot of kick to them, I believe it! I don't think I would pay the price for 2 of them to place them vertically, but that's just me. I think I would be bothered just by KNOWING that my T and M drivers are horizontally oriented instead of vertical. Even if it did sound good, I think it would bug me. But, I've been wrong before. Once or twice.

Okay Blutarsky, guess what? I have another one for ya. If you can't figure it out, go to that you tube link for your answer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ocgj9tewHso
    Attached Images Attached Images

I don't watch scary movies! "Back to the Future" are the most I have seen Crispin Glover.

The Ascend Horizons, stood on end, are no different than the Sierra-2 Center being turned sideways.

I thought hard about getting a pair of Horizons. I prefer stand mounted speakers. Subjectively, I get better sound stage. (don't make me defend this please)

Blutarsky

No worries! We all like what we like! My "ideal" speaker configuration is MT. One midbass and one tweeter with tweeter on top. This just seems the most natural to me. It does (soundstage-wise) what I feel a speaker should do. I suppose, in a way, a more "ideal" speaker would be coaxial, but I'm not sure any coaxial out there can compete with RAAL right now (unless it's way out of my price range). And, I haven't listened to any coaxials for any length of time, so I dunno. So, Ascend's speakers are the bees knees for me.

My ideal setup is:

tweeter + midbass that extends down just far enough to blend with a subwoofer at ~80hz. So, I'm thinking the MT speaker should extend down to ~60hz or so?

A subwoofer that is setup for smoothest response while sitting in my main chair.

I want as much resolution and natural and smooth dispersion as humanly possible, as well as all the dynamic range (including output) that I can muster out of these speakers.
    (This is why I want a RAAL/SEAS/BAMBOO version of the CBM-170 SE)

This is what I THINK I want, after hearing everything I've heard.

I know multiple subwoofers are best for modal smoothing, but I only care about 1 listening seat.

Quote Originally Posted by j0nnyfive View Post
    No worries! We all like what we like! My "ideal" speaker configuration is MT. One midbass and one tweeter with tweeter on top. This just seems the most natural to me. It does (soundstage-wise) what I feel a speaker should do. I suppose, in a way, a more "ideal" speaker would be coaxial, but I'm not sure any coaxial out there can compete with RAAL right now (unless it's way out of my price range). And, I haven't listened to any coaxials for any length of time, so I dunno. So, Ascend's speakers are the bees knees for me.

My ideal setup is:

tweeter + midbass that extends down just far enough to blend with a subwoofer at ~80hz. So, I'm thinking the MT speaker should extend down to ~60hz or so?

A subwoofer that is setup for smoothest response while sitting in my main chair.

I want as much resolution and natural and smooth dispersion as humanly possible, as well as all the dynamic range (including output) that I can muster out of these speakers.
    (This is why I want a RAAL/SEAS/BAMBOO version of the CBM-170 SE)

This is what I THINK I want, after hearing everything I've heard.

I know multiple subwoofers are best for modal smoothing, but I only care about 1 listening seat.
    So, I think you just said, what you really want is, the Sierra-2EX. That, or the Sierra-2Di!

Hey Jimb! Thank you for offering to get me the Sierra-2Di! At least, that's what I think you just said right?

Just kidding, of course. I've allowed this thread to get a little too complex I'm afraid.

What I'm going to buy: Sierra-2EX (This will suit my current needs and probably future needs.)

What my ideal (OCD) bang-for-buck speaker is: MT, RAAL/bamboo, bass extension to 60hz to maximize efficiency (expected to be crossed to subwoofer). (This would suit my current and future needs.) Current needs = I don't need bass. Future needs = subwoofer.
    Problem = not enough demand. That's kew.
    (This is my "perfectionistic" speaker. Just me being OCD about things. No biggie.)

What I'm throwing in the suggestion box for the future that MIGHT appeal to other people: An MMT mini-tower. I would buy a 2EX version (if the price was not too high). But, I thought it might be cool to have a mini tower between $1,000 and $2,000 using the Nrt tweeter. Not necessarily what (I) need, but I thought this seemed like a cool idea.

However, this may not be a good idea for reasons I don't yet understand. It could be that a 2-way MMT would require a tweeter that can play low (bummer). And it could be that a 2.5-way MMT wouldn't boost sensitivity enough to really justify it's addition to the product line. And it could be that an MMT simply isn't enough of a change from the MT's to justify itself anyway. And it could be that Dave just isn't "feeling it" with this idea. lol (And that's totally okay with me. I understand that completely. It's hard for ME to do things that don't interest me. I wouldn't want him working on stuff that his heart isn't in to. Seriously. This man needs a vacation probably. Dave, take a break! lol)

Either way, I would like to learn some of the pros and cons of MMT speaker alignments because I'm having a hard time finding good information elsewhere that I trust. I would like to know Dave's opinions on MMT alignment, and also anyone else that wants to talk about their experience/knowledge with this configuration. And if you have any good book suggestions (containing MMT info), please let me know!

Ya'll be safe. It's getting cold.
    Last edited by j0nnyfive; 11-02-2019 at 07:57 PM.

Update: I just placed an order for Sierra-2EX. WOOHOO!!
    Sorry for the off-topic outburst. I couldn't contain myself!

Congrats! You're gonna love 'em!

Now, let's not get ahead of ourselves h... I know I will. lol

Great!