View Poll Results: Sierra Towers w/ RAAL vs Sierra-2 EX for nearfield listening

Voters
6. You may not vote on this poll
  • Sierra Towers w/ RAAL

1 16.67%
  • Sierra-2 EX

5 83.33%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Sierra Towers w/ RAAL or Siera-2EX for (very) nearfield fronts?

Default Re: Sierra Towers w/ RAAL or Siera-2EX for (very) nearfield fronts?

Quote Originally Posted by curtis View Post
    BTW, it may seem like I am overly critical of reflections, but it is really something that you need to experience/experiment with.
    Not overly critical at all, I appreciate the advice. When I finally do this it will be quite an investment so I'm doing due diligence now.
    Last edited by doctors11; 10-29-2019 at 04:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by doctors11 View Post
    I plan on an A/V receiver with room correction.
    Good. That should help with emphasis caused by reflections.
    Not overly critical at all, I appreciate the advice. When I finally do this it will be quite an investment so I'm doing do diligence now.
    Yes, it is an investment, and a learning curve.

Everyone’s situation is at least a little different. I have found that a basic understanding of physics and listening to different setups/systems goes a long way.
    -curtis

Sorry, one of those things that's different in my particular setup. As it currently is (and where I plan to keep things), is my monitor is on an arm and pushed up to the edge of the desk closest to me. Therefore, reflections are already not an issue.

I use a Couchmaster and a comfy seat in front of the monitor. The desk is more of a table, really. So I'd either get the Sierras on stands or have the Towers stand on their own. Depending on which is better, of course.

Quote Originally Posted by That One Guy View Post
    Sorry, one of those things that's different in my particular setup. As it currently is (and where I plan to keep things), is my monitor is on an arm and pushed up to the edge of the desk closest to me. Therefore, reflections are already not an issue.

I use a Couchmaster and a comfy seat in front of the monitor. The desk is more of a table, really. So I'd either get the Sierras on stands or have the Towers stand on their own. Depending on which is better, of course.
    So if you got the Towers, there would nothing between listening position and speakers?

Will the monitor be in front of the speakers? If that’s the case, then you would be impeding sound to your ears.

Sound radiates 180 degrees from the speaker. This is what creates the soundstage and imaging.
    Bass even comes from the rear ports (but this is less directional.
    Last edited by curtis; 10-23-2019 at 01:14 PM.
    -curtis

I think Guy is thinking of visual reflections from his monitor on the desktop...? I was talking about the audio reflections from the front three speakers.

Any input on the placement of the center speaker? On the desk tilted up or on a shelf tilted down?

Thanks.

I think Guy is thinking of visual reflections from his monitor on the desktop...? I was talking about the audio reflections from the front three speakers.

Any input on the placement of the center speaker? On the desk tilted up or on a shelf tilted down?

Thanks.
    Yeah, audio is what I’m referring to as well.

For a desktop system, I think I would try shelf pointed down. With the speaker so close, I think I’d get distracted with sound seemingly not coming from the monitor. I think a phantom center would be fine since there is only one listener.
    -curtis

Quote Originally Posted by curtis View Post
    Yeah, audio is what I’m referring to as well.

For a desktop system, I think I would try shelf pointed down. With the speaker so close, I think I’d get distracted with sound seemingly not coming from the monitor. I think a phantom center would be fine since there is only one listener.
    Yeah I thought about a phantom but in our living room where we have our home theater (Sierra 1's LCR) I love being able to raise and lower the center on both movies and multi channel music. I think I would miss that in our office.

Yeah I thought about a phantom but in our living room where we have our home theater (Sierra 1's LCR) I love being able to raise and lower the center on both movies and multi channel music. I think I would miss that in our office.
    Ahh.
    I’ve never had the need to do that. Balance,balance,balance
    -curtis

So if you got the Towers, there would nothing between listening position and speakers?
    Correct.

Will the monitor be in front of the speakers? If that’s the case, then you would be impeding sound to your ears.
    I drew up a very terribly drawn image to clear things up a bit (monitor is curved):

rsz_example_desk_ht.png

The L and R would be the Towers or the Sierras on stands, aligned horizontally on either side of the screen. Speakers don't need to be that close to the screen, and the toe-in is optional but probably preferred. The desk is basically a glorified "home entertainment center" that you'd typically see in most homes. Could probably be switched out for one to be honest. Wouldn't change much.
    Last edited by That One Guy; 10-23-2019 at 09:41 PM. Reason: Context

Quote Originally Posted by That One Guy View Post
    Correct.

I drew up a very terribly drawn image to clear things up a bit (monitor is curved):

rsz_example_desk_ht.png

The L and R would be the Towers or the Sierras on stands, aligned horizontally on either side of the screen. Speakers don't need to be that close to the screen, and the toe-in is optional but probably preferred. The desk is basically a glorified "home entertainment center" that you'd typically see in most homes. Could probably be switched out for one to be honest. Wouldn't change much.
    I’m just not sure about using Towers in such close proximity. Sierra monitors would be fine.
    I’d get Dave/Dina’s input.
    -curtis