Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sierra 2EX Duo

Default Sierra 2EX Duo

This is not a dream.
    not a dream.
    We are using your brain's electrical system as a receiver.
    We are unable to transmit through conscious neural interference.
    You are receiving this broadcast as a dream.
    We are transmitting from the year two-zero-two-one.
    You are receiving this broadcast in order to alter the events leading to a causality violation.
    Our technology has not developed a transmitter strong enough to reach your conscious state of awareness.
    But this is not a dream.
    This broadcast will be received by the perceptual centers as a dream.
    But this is not a dre
    event horizon leading to causality loop
    Sierra 2EX Duo required ot yet complete by this time.
    Construction for the Sierra 2EX Duo must start earlier tha
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Re: Sierra 2EX Duo

Whoa! Is everybody okay? Man, my head hurts! Whoa!! That's a cool-looking speaker! How much are those? Where did that pic come from? Why isn't there any text?
    Is that a Sierra-2EX MTM? Sign me up! More output, greater efficiency... I can only imagine the midbass slam on those!

Dave, just curious... how expensive would a Sierra-2EX Duo be? My only hope would be that it is not as expensive as a RAAL tower.

I'm just dreaming again.

P.S. The above message is just a joke. I made that picture using MS Paint.

P.P.S. I AM curious about the viability of a Sierra-2EX MTM speaker, and what would be the technical limitations or possibilities with these uber drivers!

The following pics are for brainwashing purposes. The viewer of these pics will think about MTM speakers whenever they watch a movie or go to the theater, and it will compel the viewer to desire to build the best MTM they possibly can at the best price. It shall be the ultimate home theater speaker, for use beside TVs, behind AT screens, or just for listening to ACDC all night long with incredible resolution and clarity.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I've had thoughts of such a speaker as well! With those new drivers, you'd probably want to have the bigger RAAL tweeter. Reason being that an MTM speaker needs a lower crossover to the tweeter to reduce combing effects. The bigger RAAL can be crossed over somewhere around 2khz vs 3khz on the smaller RAAL. All that said, such a speaker would probably approach the price of the RAAL Towers. At that point, would you be better off just getting the Towers? Maybe. Depends on your situation. I could see this also being an alternative center channel for people who don't have the space for the Horizon. Again, it would probably cost as much as a Horizon (maybe more).

Quote Originally Posted by mikesiskav View Post
    I've had thoughts of such a speaker as well! With those new drivers, you'd probably want to have the bigger RAAL tweeter. Reason being that an MTM speaker needs a lower crossover to the tweeter to reduce combing effects. The bigger RAAL can be crossed over somewhere around 2khz vs 3khz on the smaller RAAL. All that said, such a speaker would probably approach the price of the RAAL Towers. At that point, would you be better off just getting the Towers? Maybe. Depends on your situation. I could see this also being an alternative center channel for people who don't have the space for the Horizon. Again, it would probably cost as much as a Horizon (maybe more).
    Correct - such speaker would definitely require the larger RAAL (70-20xram from the tower). Retail pricing for a speaker like this would be approaching $4K / pair. (quite a bit more than a pair of our towers)
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Wow! I never would have guessed that high a price range. Some truths seem stranger than fiction.

I didn't think the tower's ribbon was that much more expensive than the monitor's.

I was using basic kindergarten logic and assuming (right?) that the CBM-170 SE and CMT-340 SE price differences would MAYBE scale to the Sierra-2EX. So that would be about $2,800-$2,900 for MTM speaker. I know, I know... assuming... kindergarten...

Quote Originally Posted by j0nnyfive View Post
    Wow! I never would have guessed that high a price range. Some truths seem stranger than fiction.

I didn't think the tower's ribbon was that much more expensive than the monitor's.

I was using basic kindergarten logic and assuming (right?) that the CBM-170 SE and CMT-340 SE price differences would MAYBE scale to the Sierra-2EX. So that would be about $2,800-$2,900 for MTM speaker. I know, I know... assuming... kindergarten...

Yep -- sorry, the difference in price between the Sierra-2 tweeter and the 70-20xram that is used in the towers is very significant. 70-20xr's typically retail (some pop up every now and then as these are OEM only) for around $600 each. The speaker pair you are describing, with (4) EX woofers and (2) 70-20 ribbons has around $2400 in components, and that doesn't include crossovers, cabinets and about a dozen other small parts and we must also factor in labor.... Obviously performance would be way up there - but I am not sure it would outperform our towers, while costing quite a bit more....
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

You just don't wanna build it, do you? It's fine. I understand.

Haha! Just kidding. Dave, you da man! I trust your judgement. This is why you build world class speakers, and I play the kazoo. Oh yeah.

But... thank you for taking the time out of your day to talk to noobs like myself. I'm learning!

I've been reading up on the MTM speaker design. At first I thought the MTM might be a way to save money, but from your comments in addition to other things I've been reading, it looks like the MTM necessitates one heck of a tweeter to get right. It looks like the MTM almost has a love it or hate it kind of following. Some people whine about the dispersion pattern. All I know is that I loved the CMT-340se speakers. Had to sell my projector, AVR, and CMTs at the time, but the guy that got them seemed to really love them too judging by the look on his face!

j0nnyfive, which speakers do you have right now? I'm currently running 5 x Sierra-2 and with my 2 x JL subs, they sound amazing. I've owned both the 170se and the 340se in the past and without any doubt the Sierra 2 bests them both.

Hey Mike!

I currently have CBM-170 SE (pair). I bought these for computer speakers originally. I had some horn speakers in the living room (still do). I like the sound of the horn speakers for about an hour. My ears fatigue after about that long.

I've had Sierra 1 Nrt, then took advantage of a deal to trade up to Sierra Towers (Nrt).
    I loved the sound of both of these speakers. The Towers are at my Mom's house hooked up with a Rythmik FV12. We love this setup.

I've also had the CMT-340 SE speakers in my apartment, and I was very impressed with those in the apartment space. I remember thinking "If I had just started with these, I might have ended with these." They were exciting to listen to, but never fatiguing at all. Easy on the ears, but a sense of effortlessness. They sound... different, but in a good way (to me).

I like the CBM-170 SE, but I am ready for something more "resolving" and a little more bass wouldn't hurt (but I have to keep it under control in apartment setting).