Thread: New Halo A23+ for 2 EXs?

Default New Halo A23+ for 2 EXs?

Well as it usually happens in this hobby, you upgrade one part and then upgraditis hits you. I currently have a Parasound 275 v.2 setup in a second zone for 2 channel music. I've always admired the Halo series of amplifiers and I'm lusting over the new A23+. Tell me why this IS and ISN'T a good idea. This has noting to do with volume...just quality.

Default Re: New Halo A23+ for 2 EXs?

Well...I'm totally unqualified to chime in, but I'll relate my experience (2's w/RALL but not EX's...yet!).

I went from an older Pioneer "high end" integrated receiver "rated" at 135 w/ch (and used in 5.1 system), to Marantz AV7705 with a D-Sonic 400 w/ch amp.

Why IS:
    Immediately, I was impressed by the increased dynamics...I would describe it as the speakers being able to "breathe" (comparison with 2-channel digital music delivered to the Pioneer/Marantz via Oppo-105D using analog connections). That at moderate listening levels. The extra power capability really made the Sierra's "sing" (not technical, I know), but any transient power demands resulting from music dynamics were seemingly being reproduced with "ease". I thought the 2's were good with my old setup, and they really came alive with the new setup.

Why ISN"T:
    The Parasound is putting out "honest" power (unlike how integrated receiver power can be skewed/over-promised), and I would guess that my experience above would also apply if I had upgraded to the Parasound...I would suspect it should come down to personal preference. In my experience, more power is better...but not exactly an apples-to-apples comparison.

Also, and getting onto thin ice, but repeating what I've read from those with hard-to-question knowledge/experience: an amplifier should be "transparent", not "coloring" the signal or changing the sound through the signal path, though that's clearly "ideal".

Just my half a cent worth

Now the qualifier: I'm in NoCal and currently without power at the moment, so I guess I might be a little biased about power (and have a little too much time on my hands for forums)
    Sierra Towers w/RAAL as L/R, Horizon w/RAAL as center, Sierra 2's w/RAAL as L/R surround, Marantz AVR7705, D-Sonic M3a-2800, Oppo BDP-105D, Panasonic UB820

I had the Sierra-2s with a Parasound a31 and it simply sounds amazing. It's worth it for quality power. Step up to the higher model if possible. Amps are a investment. They last at least a decade or two if you take of them.
    TV: LG 65C8 - Receiver: Emotiva XMC-2 (9.1.4) - Blu-ray: UB820, x800m2 - Music: Sdtrans384 - Amp: Parasound A23 & A52+, Outlaw 7075 - LCR Speakers: Ascend Towers Raal ELX & Horizon RAAL ELX - Surround: (10) BG Radia PD-6i - Sub: Rythmik F18 - Power Cable: PS AC5, PS SC, Venom v14 - Speaker Cable: Furez - Interconnects: Neotech, Mogami, Pure Silver - Probe: Display Pro & i1 Pro2 - Software: Colourspace HTL & Rpi4 - Bias - MediaLight - Remote: Harmony Elite

I'm probably repeating a story I've told here before, but here goes:

A few years ago I bought a Parasound A23 from a guy down the street who was selling his at a great price. I was pretty excited to find a used one so close by.

I hooked it up and immediately noticed tighter bass, more punch, more dynamics, better imaging and clarity - a definite upgrade over my integrated amp and over the AVR I use.

After a few days loving the sound, I set up a test for it and for myself: A quick switch, level matched setup where I could compare it to the amps in my AVR or to the amps in my integrated amp.

And guess what? I couldn't tell them apart. Granted, I wasn't playing anything at crazy loud levels, but at low to moderately loud levels, no difference.

All those things I heard were in my head, due to the excitement of getting a new amp.

Your mileage may vary.

(Edited to add this: I've also been part of an amp comparison at a dealer with a large room, speakers with a tough impedance, and levels REALLY LOUD. One amp sounded muddier and muddier as the volume went up. The other amp just kept getting louder and louder while still sounding clean. So amps can make a difference. Sometimes. For some amps powering some speakers in some situations.)
    Last edited by Beave; 10-10-2019 at 08:35 PM.

I have the A23 and nuforce st100. The nuforce has a bit less power and more floor noise.
    I couldn’t find noticeble between them when A/B them. But on longer listening i tend to prefer the nuforce. It seems to be a bit mellow.

For people that can't hear a difference, good for you. As you can save a lot of money and just buy some cheap amp. For those that can, like myself, it's a truly worthy investment.
    TV: LG 65C8 - Receiver: Emotiva XMC-2 (9.1.4) - Blu-ray: UB820, x800m2 - Music: Sdtrans384 - Amp: Parasound A23 & A52+, Outlaw 7075 - LCR Speakers: Ascend Towers Raal ELX & Horizon RAAL ELX - Surround: (10) BG Radia PD-6i - Sub: Rythmik F18 - Power Cable: PS AC5, PS SC, Venom v14 - Speaker Cable: Furez - Interconnects: Neotech, Mogami, Pure Silver - Probe: Display Pro & i1 Pro2 - Software: Colourspace HTL & Rpi4 - Bias - MediaLight - Remote: Harmony Elite

And how did you determine that you can hear a difference?

(Hmm, just looked at your equipment list. Wow.)

Noise floor is easy to hear. Sometimes noise is audible from the listening position, other times you must be within inches of the speaker and other times an amplifier is stone silent with your ear right up against the tweeter. The latter makes me SMILE.

Power availability is not just about volume and loudness. Available power reserves improve the dynamic capability of the music and is especially important when you listen at increased volume. Dynamic peaks of the music can sometimes exceed 2-3x the amplitude of the average level of music and if you amplifier cannot cope it cuts the tops of the signal off (clips). Is this audible? I'm not sure, but is not good for any equipment down the chain.

Well...You are about answering your own question...like I said, power is not just about the SPL, but the dynamics...

As far as clipping...with any of the gear you are talking about, at reasonable levels...you won't (shouldn't) experience clipping.
    Sierra Towers w/RAAL as L/R, Horizon w/RAAL as center, Sierra 2's w/RAAL as L/R surround, Marantz AVR7705, D-Sonic M3a-2800, Oppo BDP-105D, Panasonic UB820

Quote Originally Posted by esnewtunemakers View Post
    Well...You are about answering your own question...
    I sort of realized that as I was writing, but decided to continue to address the ongoing discussion.