Thread: New HT room, looking for recommendations

Default New HT room, looking for recommendations

Hi everybody.

I currently have CMT-340SE LCR + 2x HTM-200 for surround in our family room (was in the home theater at the old house, moved to family room duty in the new house). The wife just told me that wants to keep those in the family room, and to buy new speakers for the theater. Works for me!

I have been extremely happy with the CMT's over the years (purchased late 2005), so I'd like to stay with Ascend Acoustic's for the new setup. Obviously things have changed a lot over the years.

Room is about 14' x 20' (actually open to the back, 35' total). Will be 95% movies/TV, very little music. Would like to place the LCR speakers in the wall (will create openings, not looking for actual inwall), and put behind an acoustically transparent screen.

Plans:
    1. Dolby Atmos 5.1.4 setup
    2. Old SVS 15" (SV20-39PCi)
    3. Marantz SR6013 (or similar), but probably between Marantz and Denon

Thinking about Sierra 2-EX's for LR? What about center? Also Sierra 2-EX, or should I go for the Sierra Horizon?

What about the surrounds? Ideally, smaller is better, so they don't stick out from the wall too far. Flush mount would be helpful.

Then looking for 4 in ceiling's for Atmos, that would match well with the Sierra's.

Sorry for the long winded, but wanted to provide context. . Thanks for responses!

joe

Default Re: New HT room, looking for recommendations

Forgot to mention, was looking at RSL C34E speakers ($125/per) for the Atmos in-ceiling heights.

Default Re: New HT room, looking for recommendations

I like your idea of Sierra 2-EX for LR. I would also suggest a third 2-EX for your center. That speaker could also be oriented vertically which will help dispersion. I'm using Luna's for surrounds. They are easy to flush mount on the wall and will match well with the 2-EX's. Of course if you're willing to double your budget you could go for Raal Towers and a Horizon for greater dynamics and detail.
    Nate