Thread: Amp for Sierra one advice.

Default Amp for Sierra one advice.

I’d like input from y’all. I own Sierra one with regular tweeter. I had them driven by a early 2000’s NAD integrated. Loved the sound after living for yrs with hard, edgy, over-bright mid-treble that caused fatigue. Sierra treble sweet, smooth yet amazing detail- loved it. But I began to sense maybe I got a touch too much sweetness because cymbals didn’t sparkle quite enough. I began considering the nrt upgrade: expensive shipping from GA!...(would not want to install myself). Well, the NAD died do I swapped in an ancient Techniques receiver-not even the pretense of hi-end.....but the tweeters came alive with sparkle!!! I was missing a lot sonically and didn’t know!
    The sound suffered in other areas: less natural, rich and holographic, you know what I mean. Thanks for staying with me thru thus backstory btw.
    Sooo- I need recommendations for s replacement pre & amp combo, integrated or even receiver...that may sound bright but still good in other areas. OR do you think it’d be wiser to get the nrt tweeter so that I needn’t seek brightness from amp?? I was considering a mid price Yamaha based on reviews but it has no hi-pass filter like a parasound and it is tall- not enough ventilation room for my rack
    (my nad got too hot!). Thanks in advance for ANY input!!

Default Re: Amp for Sierra one advice.

Quote Originally Posted by Lojo View Post
    I’d like input from y’all. I own Sierra one with regular tweeter. I had them driven by a early 2000’s NAD integrated. Loved the sound after living for yrs with hard, edgy, over-bright mid-treble that caused fatigue. Sierra treble sweet, smooth yet amazing detail- loved it. But I began to sense maybe I got a touch too much sweetness because cymbals didn’t sparkle quite enough. I began considering the nrt upgrade: expensive shipping from GA!...(would not want to install myself). Well, the NAD died do I swapped in an ancient Techniques receiver-not even the pretense of hi-end.....but the tweeters came alive with sparkle!!! I was missing a lot sonically and didn’t know!
    The sound suffered in other areas: less natural, rich and holographic, you know what I mean. Thanks for staying with me thru thus backstory btw.
    Sooo- I need recommendations for s replacement pre & amp combo, integrated or even receiver...that may sound bright but still good in other areas. OR do you think it’d be wiser to get the nrt tweeter so that I needn’t seek brightness from amp?? I was considering a mid price Yamaha based on reviews but it has no hi-pass filter like a parasound and it is tall- not enough ventilation room for my rack
    If you want more tweeter 'sparkle', the Sierra-2 or Sierra-2EX will provide a much greater improvement than a different amp. I wouldn't suggest the NRT unless you know you prefer domes to ribbons. Most good amplifiers should have a close to flat frequency response whereas the ribbon tweeter is measurably better.
    Nate

The vast majority of amplifiers and receivers out there are designed for flat frequency response. Sound differences from one amp to another can usually be attributed to differences in signal processing, distortion and/or dynamics due to available power. I don't recommend trying to achieve an overall brighter speaker response by trying different electronics combinations, unless you are going to add some EQ.

That said, the NrT upgrade is an excellent and affordable choice to transform your Sierra-1 to a speaker with more high frequency energy, as well as improvements to the mids as well.

Another option is to go with Sierra-2/Sierra-2EX... The RAAL ribbons offer very detailed, delicate and airy highs - brighter and crisper than Sierra-1, but not as bright or forward sounding as the Sierra-1 NrT.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Thanks So Much for responses! Y’all are the best! I need another amp regardless because I can’t hook up my sub with the old receiver, so once that’s done I will evaluate how to procede- if I’ll even need to. As always, money is a factor, so the S2’s are out for now. Anyway, I adore the S1’s overall presentation: far and above any other speaker I have heard. Love you Ascend ppl!!

Thanks So Much for responses! Y’all are the best! I need another amp regardless because I can’t hook up my sub with the old receiver, so once that’s done I will evaluate how to procede- if I’ll even need to. As always, money is a factor, so the S2’s are out for now. Anyway, I adore the S1’s overall presentation: far and above any other speaker I have heard. Love you Ascend ppl!!
    I am pretty sure you could just get an upgrade kit with new drivers/crossover from Dave?