Thread: Yamaha Receiver with Ascend Speakers

Default Yamaha Receiver with Ascend Speakers

Hello everyone!

I've been an Ascend customer since July of this year and am waiting for the final arrival of my Lunas for surround duty as well as finishing up my remodeling project in my media room. I'll have a 5.2 system powered by an Anthem MRX 520 receiver that I've owned for a few years. I've been mulling it over to replace the MRX 520 and go for a Yamaha RX-A2080 or 3080 in order to add future speakers for DTS:X and Atmos. This would give me room to grow when I decide to add more speakers. I'm in no rush and would plan to wait for a sale to order a unit.

Are there any happy Yamaha receiver & Ascend speaker owners in this forum that enjoy their equipment? Any specific setup recommendations? I plan to add room treatments once I have my initial 5 speakers & 2 subwoofers placed in the room.

Initial configuration:

Room: (approx. 17'x14'x8' bonus room above the garage with speakers and listening position along the longer side of the room).

2 - (L/R Mains) Sierra 2 EX (placed on 26" stands)
    1 - (Center) Luna Duo (placed on an 18" stand angled towards the listening position)
    2 - (L/R surrounds) Luna monitors (placed on 30" stands)
    2 - SVS SB-2000 subwoofers

Thank you!

Default Re: Yamaha Receiver with Ascend Speakers

I’ve got a Yamaha Cx-5200 preamp running RAAL towers and a Yamaha Rx-A1070 powering my Luna Raals in my bedroom. Both sound excellent! I’ve been a long time Yamaha fan. Very clean sound and rock solid.

I used to pair the CMT 340's with a Yamaha receiver. It sounded good but when I got a receiver with Audyssey XT32, it was a solid improvement, but your preferences may vary. Room correction software is the main sound quality determinant in modern AVR's.

I have a Yamaha Aventage a870 driving Sierra-2s in my HT setup. It was a big step up from the Denon I had previously. Lots of clean power with a normal to warm sound. Good quality parts in the higher end Yamaha receivers...would definitely buy it again.

Quote Originally Posted by BaconDad View Post
    I have a Yamaha Aventage a870 driving Sierra-2s in my HT setup. It was a big step up from the Denon I had previously. Lots of clean power with a normal to warm sound. Good quality parts in the higher end Yamaha receivers...would definitely buy it again.
    What Denon did you have before the Yamaha?

Quote Originally Posted by chas View Post
    What Denon did you have before the Yamaha?
    Denon AVR X2100-W. It would overheat if played at reference volumes for too long, and by too long I mean 10-15 minutes, which was unacceptable.

I’ve had a yammy rxa 1030 for several years now. It’s been great. For the past 1.5 years I’ve used an outboard amp, but prior it had no troubles driving my S2’s and Horizon.

I think the most noticeable difference will be in the room correction. I don’t have experience with ARC, but from what I’ve read it’s superior.

YPAO is not the best with subwoofers, but I do like the way my speakers sound with the manual tweaking that is possible on Yamahas. I use a MiniDSP 2x4hd for all of my sub eq. Of course a mic and Rew are required for these manual tweaks.

All of that being said, I’d go with another Yamaha for my next avr/pre pro.

I've had a Yamaha RX-A1000 followed by a RX-A3060 and I really like Yamaha products. Currently I using the A3060 in conjunction with a Parasound 275v2 to drive my Sierra 2s in a 2-ch zone. Only using the Parasound because I've used all the Yamaha's internal amplifiers in a home theater setting. Very nice combination.