Thread: Anyone using Parasound 2125v2 with Sierras?

Default Anyone using Parasound 2125v2 with Sierras?

Just ordered my 2EX upgrade kits for my Sierra 1s. Happy day!

I have a Denon X4200W and would like to drive the Sierra 2EXs a little better for music. Also will be running a Sierra Horizon Center with Raal, CBM-170 SE surround, and Imagine XA Atmos speakers in a 5.2.2 setup.

I'm looking at the Parasound NewClassic 2125v2. Anyone running one of these?

Default Re: Anyone using Parasound 2125v2 with Sierras?

While not the 2125v2, I am using a 275v2 with very good results. It is paired up with my Sierra 2s (soon to be 2EXs) as part of a 2-ch system driven by a Yamaha RX-A3060. I can only imagine the 2125v2 would be somewhat better; providing a little more dynamic capability.

I did end up ordering the 2125. Got it already, but waiting on my upgrade 2EX kit to get here before hooking it up.

Quote Originally Posted by cel4145 View Post
    I did end up ordering the 2125. Got it already, but waiting on my upgrade 2EX kit to get here before hooking it up.
    I was looking at this same amp for my set-up. Did you get your upgrade kit installed and how was the Parasound with the 2EX's?

Quote Originally Posted by rifmon View Post
    I was looking at this same amp for my set-up. Did you get your upgrade kit installed and how was the Parasound with the 2EX's?
    Unfortunately, the driver would not fit in one of the cutouts with one of my Sierra 1s. Since I didn't want to sand it out to make it fit, I returned the 2EX kit. Waiting for a refund so I can order a full set of 2EX speakers.

I have been using the 2125v2 with my Sierra 1s. I do feel they sound better, and it seems to drive them better at louder volumes than when using the internal amps in the Denon X4200. YMMV, since this is a sighted observation that could certainly be influenced by expectation bias.

Unfortunately, the driver would not fit in one of the cutouts with one of my Sierra 1s. Since I didn't want to sand it out to make it fit, I returned the 2EX kit. Waiting for a refund so I can order a full set of 2EX speakers.
    Bummer. I ran into that when I installed the Sierra-2 kits in my Sierra-1/NrT's. 1st gen cabinets are somewhat non-compliant with the Sierra-2 & -2EX woofer. I ended up opening up the woofer cutout with a sanding disc/wheel attached to a power drill. I scuffed up the finish in a few spots around the cutouts but avoided any major damage. If I used the grills I'd never see the scuff marks, but I can't see them from where I sit anyway.

I'm hoping that when I finally do get the EX kits the new woofers will drop in without any issues.
    Ed

* Sierra-2EX's W/V2 crossover upgrade
    * (2) Rythmik F12's
    * Parasound Halo P6
    * Audio by Van Alstine DVA-M225 Monoblock Amps
    * MiniDSP 2x4HD For Sub calibration
    *World's Best Cables Canare 4S11 speaker cables

Quote Originally Posted by Mag_Neato View Post
    Bummer. I ran into that when I installed the Sierra-2 kits in my Sierra-1/NrT's. 1st gen cabinets are somewhat non-compliant with the Sierra-2 & -2EX woofer. I ended up opening up the woofer cutout with a sanding disc/wheel attached to a power drill. I scuffed up the finish in a few spots around the cutouts but avoided any major damage. If I used the grills I'd never see the scuff marks, but I can't see them from where I sit anyway.

I'm hoping that when I finally do get the EX kits the new woofers will drop in without any issues.
    Yeah, I wish I'd known ahead of time that they are not always a drop-in replacement. I guess I should have researched more. I probably would have gone with the 2EX to begin with. It was not worth the hassle of taking them apart and putting them back together again, and the money for shipping for it not to work.

Yeah, I wish I'd known ahead of time that they are not always a drop-in replacement. I guess I should have researched more. I probably would have gone with the 2EX to begin with. It was not worth the hassle of taking them apart and putting them back together again, and the money for shipping for it not to work.
    A couple of other issues popped up during the first upgrade I did from Sierra-1 to Nrt.
    1. The original insulation lining the inside of the cabinets was a black mesh sock filled with a fiberglass material that was glued on. I had to remove that and used some 1" thick Dacron batting to replace it.

2. The gen 1 cabinets had crossover boards with different mounting hole locations so the newer boards are held in with 2 self tapping screws in addition to the originals machine screws.

The undersized woofer cutout reared its ugly head with the addition of the Sierra-2 woofer. It nearly stopped me, but my stubbornness and "git'r done" mentality kept me going!
    Ed

* Sierra-2EX's W/V2 crossover upgrade
    * (2) Rythmik F12's
    * Parasound Halo P6
    * Audio by Van Alstine DVA-M225 Monoblock Amps
    * MiniDSP 2x4HD For Sub calibration
    *World's Best Cables Canare 4S11 speaker cables