Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Blown Tweeter

Default Re: Blown Tweeter

I think it's listening at -31 db if at -40 on the vol display. Also, as Dave mentioned earlier in this thread, that's like 10x the power and could cause clipping.

As to whether or not Genesis is EQ'ing above the cutoff frequency, not 100% sure. Maybe version dependent. If I look at my ARC report, it doesn't appear to EQ above the cutoff frequency. As I recall from the AVS forum thread posted above, some are reporting issues with the TILT function in most recent beta. Not sure if previous also had weird behavior. I've not tinkered with TILT or several other settings in Genesis, so can't say for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by racrawford65 View Post
    I think it's listening at -31 db if at -40 on the vol display. Also, as Dave mentioned earlier in this thread, that's like 10x the power and could cause clipping.
    Yes, it is like 10x the power, but it is only a concern if it is out of line with the other speakers. -31 vs -40 is also like 10x the power. If it +9 across the board, it is like raising the overall volume +9, so you just end up listening at a lower "volume" on the display.

As to whether or not Genesis is EQ'ing above the cutoff frequency, not 100% sure. Maybe version dependent. If I look at my ARC report, it doesn't appear to EQ above the cutoff frequency. As I recall from the AVS forum thread posted above, some are reporting issues with the TILT function in most recent beta. Not sure if previous also had weird behavior. I've not tinkered with TILT or several other settings in Genesis, so can't say for sure.
    Yeah, not definitive. I'm just trying to get clarification on your previous post implying that it is definitive.
    -curtis

Correct, not definitive.
    Regards,
    Robert

Quote Originally Posted by davef View Post

Definitely give us a call at the office. In the meantime, I recommend manually setting the trim levels - such high gain could be clipping the input stages.
    This quote from Dave could explain what happened. I could have been sending a very clipped and distorted signal to the tweeters. I have suffered high frequency hearing loss over the years and can not hear anything over 10,000 Hz.
    I could have been enjoying the great sound while my poor speakers were crying for help, unknown to me.
    In the last year I have had these speakers hooked up to a Marantz, a Yamaha, and 5 different NAD receivers. This does not include the Denon that I have been using for the last 5 years.
    I am sure that the Anthem is the problem. Either the amplifier stage or the ARC Genesis software.
    I had used the Anthem for less than one hour when the tweeter blew, so I know very little about this unit.

Not sure why it is altering. Maybe related to which version of Genesis you are running? Or, perhaps, input is set to use a different speaker profile with higher EQ limit?

Maybe post your Genesis/ARC report here (and/or on the AVS Genesis thread - several knowledgeable posters there who may be able to help. Link below)

In the interim, as suggested above, may want to run ARC2 instead of Genesis. If not happy with results from ARC2, if it gives you peace of mind, go back to the Denon and try the Anthem / Genesis when the software is a bit more stable.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-re...thread-19.html
    How do you post the ARC report.
    I have reset the Anthem to factory defaults and removed all Genesis software from my computer.
    I have been using the Denon again.
    I will give the Anthem another try, very carefully, when I get my new tweeter.
    I may do as you suggest and try ARC2 instead of Genesis.

To upload a file, if you go to advanced mode when posting a reply, there is a paper clip icon to add attachments.

I am assuming you saved the report from your cal run as a PDF and haven't deleted it yet.

One of mine is attached as an example.

2019-06-2019 run 3 - EQ Adj.pdf

FWIF, my guess is it's something with the new Genesis software and what was uploaded. Unless, of course, you got a defective unit. For me, the hardware has been rock solid, both the MRX510 I had previously and now the MRX720 (ATMOS upgrade).
    Last edited by racrawford65; 08-18-2019 at 04:51 AM.

Are you sure that you can install ARC2 on the 720?
    When I go to ARC downloads the only option that I see is Anthem Genesis.
    I received my replacement tweeter today about 30 minutes after I left for work. I will not get home again until Aug. 30th.
    Something to look forward to.

To upload a file, if you go to advanced mode when posting a reply, there is a paper clip icon to add attachments.

I am assuming you saved the report from your cal run as a PDF and haven't deleted it yet.

One of mine is attached as an example.

2019-06-2019 run 3 - EQ Adj.pdf

FWIF, my guess is it's something with the new Genesis software and what was uploaded. Unless, of course, you got a defective unit. For me, the hardware has been rock solid, both the MRX510 I had previously and now the MRX720 (ATMOS upgrade).
    I did not save a PDF file.
    I deleted everything on my computer that had anything to do with ARC or Anthem.

Quote Originally Posted by Hlam View Post
    Are you sure that you can install ARC2 on the 720?
    When I go to ARC downloads the only option that I see is Anthem Genesis.
    I received my replacement tweeter today about 30 minutes after I left for work. I will not get home again until Aug. 30th.
    Something to look forward to.
    I don't see ARC2 on the Anthem site either. I have the last version saved on my computer, but it is too big to attach here (12.8 MB). It may be too big to email, as well. If you want to PM me your address, I can burn it to a CD or thumb drive and mail to you. FYI, you'll need to download your mic cal file (I think they are one and the same for ARC2 and Genesis). If you send me your mic's S/N, I can download it as well for you and burn it to the same disk/thumbdrive. Also, ARC2 only runs on Windows. If you are a MAC person, I think there is a way to run Windows on a MAC and believe this will allow ARC2 to run, but not 100% positive. Otherwise, you may need to borrow a Windows laptop to run and upload.

Alternately, you can ask Anthem Tech support for a copy of ARC2.

ARC2 or Genesis are installed on the PC, not the MRX. Both can be installed on the same PC at the same time (separate folders) -- FWIW, I have both on mine. The calibration/eq/trims/etc from either can be uploaded into the MRX720. ARC2 is the original software that came with the MRX720 (all x20 series, the AVM60, and the previous MRX x10 series), so no problems using ARC2 with this receiver.
    Last edited by racrawford65; 08-20-2019 at 04:53 PM.

I finally got time to install the new tweeter.
    I removed the screws form the blown tweeter and carefully removed it from the cabinet. I found that one of the wire terminals was very loose on the connection.
    I pushed this wire back on and crimped it in place. Put the tweeter back into the cabinet and it is not blown. It sounds fine. I now have a spare tweeter.
    I should have taken the tweeter out and checked the wires before ordering a replacement tweeter.
    I guess it took 5.5 years for this terminal to work itself off enough to cause a problem.
    Thanks for the great service Dave.
    Also, thanks for the Anthem help guys.
    I hooked the Anthem up again and ran genesis. I got almost the same results. All speaker levels at +8 or +9 and the sub at +10. I may use the 720 at very low volumes for a day or so before I put the Denon back into service.