Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Blown Tweeter

Default Blown Tweeter

It sounds like I managed to blow the tweeter in my Sierra 2 center channel.
    I was watching a movie with the volume at -25 dB when the vocals got very scratchy.
    There was a lot of static coming from the tweeter.
    Has anyone else had to replace one of these tweeters?

Default Re: Blown Tweeter

-25 db doesn't really tell us much. How far back from the speaker do you sit? What is 0 db calibrated to on you receiver?

That said, have you tried swapping the center channel with the left or right channel to see if the static follows the speaker or stays in the center?
    -curtis

Hi Curtis
    It is a new receiver so I am not sure about what the 0 db calibration level is.
    The spl was between 80 and 85 db at the MLP 8 feet from the speaker.
    The static is coming from the tweeter on this speaker. I hooked the center up to the left channel and it makes the same bad sounds.
    I have sent an email to Ascend.

If the static noise is coming from your front speakers after you have switched them to the center channel, the problem could be your receiver. Sounds like clipping to me. But check with Dave to have things sort it out.

It is definitely the center channel speaker. The distortion follows this speaker.
    It has the same static and distortion on two of my other receivers.
    It could have been clipping that caused this. This is the first Anthem receiver that I have owned and the amps in it could be garbage.
    Hopefully I will get a response to the email I sent to Ascend soon.
    Has anyone else had to purchase one of these tweeters from Ascend. I do not think that this tweeter is exactly the same as the one that you can get elsewhere.

Which Anthem do you own? The amps in the MRX series are really good. I believe Anthem sets 75db at -10 on the volume, at least on current MRX generation. So, -25 db shouldn't have been that loud.
    Assume you've run Anthem's room correction? If so, newest (Genesis)? If so, what are your speaker trim levels. Seems like Genesis likes to set speakers hot (at least 3 db). Some on AVS report trims being set to +12 db (max displayed, so could be more).

Have you looked at the ribbon in the tweeter? Is it torn/ripped?

I have the MRX 720.
    I did run ARC Genesis. It set all my speaker levels to +9 except for the subs which it set to + 11.
    The Denon x4000 with XT32 set the speaker levels to 0 db and the subs to - 11.5 db.
    The NAD T758 with DIRAC set the speakers to 0 db and the subs to - 10 db.
    The subs volume in all three cases was set the same and the speaker distances were the same. I do not know why the levels were different with the Anthem's ARC.
    I normally listen to music at around 75 db. With the Denon, and the NAD, the volume was set to - 22 db. The Anthem reached this level with the volume set to - 32 db.
    This is the second movie that I have watched with the system turned on in the 5.5 years that I have had the Sierra 2's. I usually listen to music.
    I did not notice if the foil was damaged. I will not be able to check until Aug. 09, 2019. That is my next day off work and I will not be home until then.
    I am hoping to have a replacement tweeter to put in at that time.

I have the MRX7720 also.

I'm wondering if the difference between the Denon/Nad (-22) and the Anthem (-32) is where each set the reference point (as in my previous post, I think Anthem uses -10; others may be at 0). That could explain the difference.

Not sure what it is with Genesis, but a lot of people seem to have their gains set high. I'm still tinkering with it -- different mic positions and subwoofer gains (both have an impact on results).

Anyway, assume you've talked to Dina/Dave about a replacement tweeter?
    Last edited by racrawford65; 07-29-2019 at 05:31 PM.

I sent an email message a couple of days ago. I was not expecting to get a reply today due to sending my message on the weekend.
    Maybe tomorrow.
    I don't think calling will be possible with my work schedule. I will check Ascend's hours. The time difference from there to here is 4.5 hours.

I am sorry to hear about the blown tweeter. Something doesn't sound right. You have had the speakers for over 5 years now with no issues, and then you switch to the Anthem and it took out a tweeter. I do not understand why the Anthem set such a high boost for all the speaker. +9 dB makes no sense, and is going to cause clipping. +9dB boost is nearly 10X the power...

Definitely give us a call at the office. In the meantime, I recommend manually setting the trim levels - such high gain could be clipping the input stages.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com