Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Thread: Sierra 2EX upgrade kit questions

Default Re: Sierra 2EX upgrade kit questions

Quote Originally Posted by rifmon View Post
    Wow. Good information. Sorta like an MRI machine with the magnet! When I finally get my upgrade, I'll keep that in mind. I will keep my mechanical watch far away! Dumb question.... so the magnets are in the ribbons or are they behind the ribbons in the enclosure?
    The magnets are part of the tweeter assembly, behind the actual ribbon of the tweeter.
    -curtis

Quote Originally Posted by curtis View Post
    The magnets are part of the tweeter assembly, behind the actual ribbon of the tweeter.
    Actually, in the smaller ribbon (Sierra-2 ribbon) - there are 3 magnets - the 2 main magnets are to the sides of the ribbon, with one smaller magnet behind the ribbon. in the 70-20, the magnets are to the sides of the ribbon.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Be careful when holding a measuring tape up to your Sierra-2. The magnets might cause the measuring tape to smack the Raal tweeter. Don't ask me how I know.

Quote Originally Posted by Crk140 View Post
    Yes,

I'm the one who had this speaker specially made. I think it sounds amazing. I had the ribbon previously so that should give you an idea of how good they sound. The ribbon was a bit too tame for me in the upper treble region. For anyone with the nrt that wants to keep the dome the nrt with the ex woofer is 110% worth it and sounds awesome. Tight authoritative base, great punch. Ex woofer integrates well with the nrt.
    Not clear what you're saying here. I have the 1-Nrt upgrade with the dome tweeter. Are you saying I can pair the Nrt dome I have now with the new 2 EX woofer, using the old Nrt crossover? That's not a kit DaveF offers, is it? Or will DaveF sell me the EX woofer by itself? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by dap7777 View Post
    Not clear what you're saying here. I have the 1-Nrt upgrade with the dome tweeter. Are you saying I can pair the Nrt dome I have now with the new 2 EX woofer, using the old Nrt crossover? That's not a kit DaveF offers, is it? Or will DaveF sell me the EX woofer by itself? Thanks.
    No, you cannot simply swap the standard woofer for the EX woofer by itself. You will need new crossovers to make them play together properly. I'd imagine you would be looking at at least the same cost as if you were doing the EX upgrade with the S2. Best to contact Dave/Dina and get a quote.
    Ed

* Sierra-2EX's W/V2 crossover upgrade
    * (2) Rythmik F12's
    * Parasound Halo P6
    * Audio by Van Alstine DVA-M225 Monoblock Amps
    * MiniDSP 2x4HD For Sub calibration
    *World's Best Cables Canare 4S11 speaker cables

I have the nrt with ex woofer. The combo sounds awesome imo but it is special order so you'll have to ask Dave for pricing... and as the previous poster mentioned you need a specially adjusted crossover

I'm SERIOUSLY considering upgrading my 1's to the 2EX, so this thread is awesome.
    The cost for the upgrade is less than buying new speakers, and doing the upgrade myself is cake, so it's a no brainer really.
    Hmmmmm I'll need 3 kits...

Ordered 3 S1>S2-EX Kits
    Started with 140's w/340SE CC(which I still listen to), then to Sierra 1's LCR.
    Knowing Dave over the years, I'm expecting this to be a big upgrade.

Thanks for making these available Dave!

Gary

Okay, I didn't read every post in this thread so please forgive me if this has been suggested or covered already.

It would break my heart to upgrade and have such a nice set of drivers left over to sit and collect dust. Dave, have you ever considered offering to take them back for even a small credit toward the kit? What I'm imagining is a "b-stock" section where you could offer speakers built from returned (and tested) parts at a discount? I dunno if that's even a viable plan or would work with your business model, just spitballing.

IF I were to go this upgrade path (I didn't. I decided to get the towers) I would absolutely pursue building a pair of speakers around them, with a newly designed crossover and compatible tweeter (if I could find one).

Another question... how would those drivers work in a tower? That'd be pretty cool. I love the way the SEAS Curv woofer looks. I was slightly disappointed the 2 bass drivers in the towers aren't the same as the Sierra 2s, but also understand it's a custom built driver designed specifically to fit the S2 cabs.

Quote Originally Posted by Pogre View Post
    Okay, I didn't read every post in this thread so please forgive me if this has been suggested or covered already.

It would break my heart to upgrade and have such a nice set of drivers left over to sit and collect dust. Dave, have you ever considered offering to take them back for even a small credit toward the kit? What I'm imagining is a "b-stock" section where you could offer speakers built from returned (and tested) parts at a discount? I dunno if that's even a viable plan or would work with your business model, just spitballing.

IF I were to go this upgrade path (I didn't. I decided to get the towers) I would absolutely pursue building a pair of speakers around them, with a newly designed crossover and compatible tweeter (if I could find one).

Another question... how would those drivers work in a tower? That'd be pretty cool. I love the way the SEAS Curv woofer looks. I was slightly disappointed the 2 bass drivers in the towers aren't the same as the Sierra 2s, but also understand it's a custom built driver designed specifically to fit the S2 cabs.
    There was a time that Dave accepted old Sierra woofers back but doesn't currently, last I heard
    Nate