Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Sierra 2EX upgrade kit questions

Default Re: Sierra 2EX upgrade kit questions

Quote Originally Posted by djDANNY View Post
    Do you run a sub with these and if so what do you cross it over at? I’m curious if a sub is used whether the EX driver will make much of a difference in bass response with a crossover of 80hz or higher. Since both speakers should be measuring pretty flat is there actually more bass output or just lower extension? Not sure how to interpret “more bass” if the frequency response is flat for both the regular Sierra 2 and the 2EX.
    I have these in my home theater with a couple of PSA subs. Right now the crossover is set to 80hz and it blends nicely. I have also been listening to them quite a bit full range in my living room stereo set up, and if I were using them exclusively for 2 channel music I wouldn’t see the need for a subwoofer...at least with the music I listen to.

For those of you did the upgrade, what are you planning on doing with your old woofer and crossover?

Right now I have them just sitting in a bin with a bunch of other speaker parts. 😊 If Dave finds a use for them I will happily send them back to him.

Hey Dave! I'm definitely considering the EX upgrade for my L R C in the theater! Not sure what I'd do with the old woofers either.

Side note--are you planning to offer this same upgrade for the Luna speakers? I have a pair on my computer setup.
    Video: JVC RS540 w/Lens & 122" 2.35:1 CIH / HDFury Vertex 2 w/Dolby Vision
    Audio: Marantz SR7010 / XPA-3 / UPA-7 Sources: Nvidia Shield / Xbox One
    7. Ascend Acoustics Sierra-2 Ex (L R C), Ascend Acoustics HTM-200SE (side & rear)
    2. Subs: SVS PC-2000 & eD A3-300 12" / Sensory: Aura Pro Bass Shakers
    4 HTM-200SE for Atmos/DTS:X
    Theater Pics / Desktop

Quote Originally Posted by tknice View Post
    Hey Dave! I'm definitely considering the EX upgrade for my L R C in the theater! Not sure what I'd do with the old woofers either.

Side note--are you planning to offer this same upgrade for the Luna speakers? I have a pair on my computer setup.
    I would highly doubt there would be a similar upgrade for the Lunas. The EX woofer was made for the White Diamond tweeter, and only after that upon overwhelming customer requests was it made to work with the RAAL tweeter in the Sierra-2.

This upgrade does look great, I'd take the old woofers and drop them in a parts express flatpack enclosure. Reuse the crossover and find a tweeter with similar impedance and sensitivity for a bedroom speaker. Bit of eq and it probably wouldn't sound half bad for non critical listening

Agreed, my guess is the phase plug would reduce the surface area of the already much smaller Luna woofer too much.

Quote Originally Posted by tknice View Post

Honestly, I hadn't even though about this type of upgrade with our 4.5" Curv woofer. I am not sure if it could even be done without new toolings being made, which costs a fortune. The upgrade worked out very well with our 6" Curv woofer because the motor system of the W16 woofer (magnet and Faraday rings (pure copper shorting rings) were able to be used in our already existing custom made basket frame, of which we own the tooling for. Let's just say we have no plans for an upgraded woofer in the Luna, nor do I feel it would be cost effective vs any performance improvements due to the fact that the cabinet volume is extremely limited.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

I have been using Sierra2 as mains paired with the horizon center and PSA XS15se sub. I use this system to watch movies, TV, and listen to music. The setup is working well for me. Should I upgrade the mains to new EXs? Would the bass diff be enough to use the upgraded speakers without a sub?

Quote Originally Posted by parmodmehta View Post
    I have been using Sierra2 as mains paired with the horizon center and PSA XS15se sub. I use this system to watch movies, TV, and listen to music. The setup is working well for me. Should I upgrade the mains to new EXs? Would the bass diff be enough to use the upgraded speakers without a sub?
    For home theater, we always recommend using a subwoofer - even if you have large full range tower speakers. The EX upgrade does more than just improve bass - overall dynamics is considerably better and this is an important characteristic for home theater. If the upgrade is within your budget, I highly recommend it.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com