Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Sierra 2EX upgrade kit questions

Default Re: Sierra 2EX upgrade kit questions

Quote Originally Posted by Mag_Neato View Post
    Do the upgrade instructions for the EX state that you should install the covers? You should be fine without them as they were intended as an extra measure of protection for shipping. If you are simply removing the RAAL in order to disconnect the leads from the crossover and then reverse the process, you should be ok without them.
    The instructions say if you have them, you should use them. I think it’s probably more to protect against a slip of the screwdriver than anything else. Anyway, I just slid them back on and it was fine.

Thanks,
    Ryan

Quote Originally Posted by RMW View Post
    The instructions say if you have them, you should use them. I think it’s probably more to protect against a slip of the screwdriver than anything else. Anyway, I just slid them back on and it was fine.

Thanks,
    Ryan
    Cool. Interested in your impressions once you complete the upgrade!
    Ed

* Sierra-2EX's W/V2 crossover upgrade
    * (2) Rythmik F12's
    * Parasound Halo P6
    * Audio by Van Alstine DVA-M225 Monoblock Amps
    * MiniDSP 2x4HD For Sub calibration
    *World's Best Cables Canare 4S11 speaker cables

Quote Originally Posted by Mag_Neato View Post
    Cool. Interested in your impressions once you complete the upgrade!
    Just finished the kit. Took maybe an hour or so to do both. Very simple. One small issue was the connectors for the leads to the woofers...a little loose and my pliers were probably not the right tool for the job. I debated soldering them on, but remembered my DIY days and that one time I accidentally had the iron too hot and literally melted the terminal right off a tweeter. It’s a funny anecdote on a $30 tweeter, not a $300 woofer. So I managed to crimp them a bit and think it’s good enough. I’ll check in a few days and make sure they’re still tight.

Turned them on and two things I noticed immediately, without giving the woofer a fair chance to break-in:

1. They are definitely warmer than the standard S2, which I prefer.
    2. The bass is huge. I also have the Buchardt S400s and didn’t think I’d find a small bookshelf that could equal their bass. Well, I think the S2-EX may be at their level.

More to come.

-Ryan

Just finished the kit. Took maybe an hour or so to do both. Very simple. One small issue was the connectors for the leads to the woofers...a little loose and my pliers were probably not the right tool for the job. I debated soldering them on, but remembered my DIY days and that one time I accidentally had the iron too hot and literally melted the terminal right off a tweeter. It’s a funny anecdote on a $30 tweeter, not a $300 woofer. So I managed to crimp them a bit and think it’s good enough. I’ll check in a few days and make sure they’re still tight.

Turned them on and two things I noticed immediately, without giving the woofer a fair chance to break-in:

1. They are definitely warmer than the standard S2, which I prefer.
    2. The bass is huge. I also have the Buchardt S400s and didn’t think I’d find a small bookshelf that could equal their bass. Well, I think the S2-EX may be at their level.

More to come.

-Ryan
    Really can’t wait to hear your impression specially against the buchardt s400

Sounds promising! Keep us posted. I’ll be upgrading sometime this year.

Quote Originally Posted by rifmon View Post
    Dave, could 2EX Upgrade Kit buyers send back both the woofers and crossovers for you to pair with Sierra 2 ribbon tweeters? These paired Sierra 2's could be classified as Sierra 2 "C Stock" and priced lower than normal "B-Stock Sierra 2's. Just an option to avoid many tossed woofers and crossovers. I'd be happy to contribute to such a project rather than throwing these great units out.
    This would be something we would have to carefully consider. Ultimately, the Sierra-2EX will replace the Sierra-2 and sales have been brisk thus far such that using Sierra-2 cabinets for anything other than Sierra-2EX can possibly lead to inventory shortages.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Hi Dave,

I just received my upgrade kit, and managed to find one of the magnetic protectors for the RAAL. Is there a proper way to place the magnetic protector back on the RAAL? The warning about air pressure blowing out the foil is making me pause.

Thanks,
    Ryan
    Hi Ryan - the protectors should simply be slid on or off. Instructions are listed on them but give us a call if you are having issues.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

More to come.

-Ryan
    Do you run a sub with these and if so what do you cross it over at? I’m curious if a sub is used whether the EX driver will make much of a difference in bass response with a crossover of 80hz or higher. Since both speakers should be measuring pretty flat is there actually more bass output or just lower extension? Not sure how to interpret “more bass” if the frequency response is flat for both the regular Sierra 2 and the 2EX.

Quote Originally Posted by davef View Post
    This would be something we would have to carefully consider. Ultimately, the Sierra-2EX will replace the Sierra-2 and sales have been brisk thus far such that using Sierra-2 cabinets for anything other than Sierra-2EX can possibly lead to inventory shortages.
    Dave, Glad to hear that your investment with SEAS in producing the EX woofer is a success!

I am bummed that I will have to wait a bit to join the EX club, but I know it will be worth the wait.
    Ed

* (2) Rythmik F12's
    * Parasound Halo P6

Quote Originally Posted by djDANNY View Post
    Do you run a sub with these and if so what do you cross it over at? I’m curious if a sub is used whether the EX driver will make much of a difference in bass response with a crossover of 80hz or higher. Since both speakers should be measuring pretty flat is there actually more bass output or just lower extension? Not sure how to interpret “more bass” if the frequency response is flat for both the regular Sierra 2 and the 2EX.
    http://forum.ascendacoustics.com/sho...0877#post60877

Hope that helps!
    Ed

* (2) Rythmik F12's
    * Parasound Halo P6