Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Sierra 2EX upgrade kit questions

Default Re: Sierra 2EX upgrade kit questions

I do have them back, but my current use does not permit critical evaluation, nor opportunity to compare before and after very well. I will say that they are more 'neutral' to me now than before, and that the bass is more extended. Other than that, you should really consider them based on what Dave and others have described about the differences. The turn around time at Ascend is not too long, but you do have to allow time for shipping both ways.

Just received my Sierra 2-EX upgrade kit. Installation went smoothly. Directions are first rate and easy to follow. Only tools needed are a phillips screwdriver and a ½ inch socket. I thought the Sierra 2's were great (and they are). The addition of the upgrade kit takes them to a new and higher level! The sound is even "awesomer!" The base is noticeably deep and lower. I turned my sub's volume down a bit. When listening to music I thought I knew very well, it sounds like there are new instruments playing in the song. Subtle clarity is improved. I'm overwhelmed by the added details. Every thing Dave has said about this upgrade is true. If funds permit, I'd highly recommend doing this upgrade. I think of my speakers as "Sierra 3's" now!

Quote Originally Posted by rickm View Post
    Just received my Sierra 2-EX upgrade kit. Installation went smoothly. Directions are first rate and easy to follow. Only tools needed are a phillips screwdriver and a ½ inch socket. I thought the Sierra 2's were great (and they are). The addition of the upgrade kit takes them to a new and higher level! The sound is even "awesomer!" The base is noticeably deep and lower. I turned my sub's volume down a bit. When listening to music I thought I knew very well, it sounds like there are new instruments playing in the song. Subtle clarity is improved. I'm overwhelmed by the added details. Every thing Dave has said about this upgrade is true. If funds permit, I'd highly recommend doing this upgrade. I think of my speakers as "Sierra 3's" now!
    Thanks for the impression on the upgrade. Has anyone else done the upgrade and comparison? Would love to hear more perspectives on the scope and degree of the changes....

Quote Originally Posted by rickm View Post
    Thanks for posting your thoughts and I am glad that you are enjoying your new EX's
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

From all I’ve heard the S..EX is phenomenal

Sorry, couldn’t resist!

It is phenomenal. and the enjoyment can last for hours!
    Last edited by rickm; 09-27-2019 at 06:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by GPeaslee View Post
    Hi Dave,

Just now reading about the Sierra 2EX upgrade. I currently have Sierra 2’s with a Horizon Raal center. Would the upgraded Sierra 2EX’s be a good match with the Horizon Raal center? The increased dynamics are of interest to me for home theater, but I want to confirm that the front 3 speakers will provide a consistent soundstage for dialogue and panned effects.

Gary
    Hi Dave,

I think you missed my question. No problem, but I still would like your thoughts on this.

Thanks, Gary

Dave has said that the best center for a pair of Sierra-2's is a Duo if you have a subwoofer, and a third Sierra-2 if you don't (given those two as the options.)

I'm in the latter situation and just ordered the 2EX upgrade kit for the L & R.

So, does the recommendation still hold? Does the extra bass of the 2EX compensate (somewhat) for the lack of a subwoofer if I get a Duo?

My other options are keeping the Sierra-2 center or upgrading it to a 2EX. Does a 2EX have any of the characteristics that make the Duo a good center?

Thanks.
    Last edited by vicwong; 10-05-2019 at 06:12 PM.

Ordered my EX upgrade kits today. Will be paired with my Horizon and a pair of Rythmik FV 18’s. I’m excited to hear the new sound.

Quote Originally Posted by GPeaslee View Post
    Hi Dave,

Just now reading about the Sierra 2EX upgrade. I currently have Sierra 2’s with a Horizon Raal center. Would the upgraded Sierra 2EX’s be a good match with the Horizon Raal center? The increased dynamics are of interest to me for home theater, but I want to confirm that the front 3 speakers will provide a consistent soundstage for dialogue and panned effects.

Gary
    Hi Gary,

Sorry I missed your question. The Sierra-2EX are an even better match to the Horizon than Sierra-2, especially with regard to overall timbre, clarity and dynamics. I would say the Sierra-2EX is 50% closer in overall performance.

Hope this helps!
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com