Thread: Sierra 2EX upgrade kit questions

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Sierra 2EX upgrade kit questions

Dave,

This kit sounds peaks my interest, but thinking ahead the possibility also raises a few concerns.

1. How important is the fact that: 'Left / right pairs are matched by hand to within ± 1dB'? Obviously installing the upgrade kit in the Sierra 2 will eliminate the matched pair speakers.

2. I have been amazed by the detail and wide dispersion of the Sierra 2 that results in a soundstage that is both higher and wider than anything I've experienced previously. My only minor grip is that, at times, the Sierra 2 can sound a little thin in the lower midrange. Your description of the EX sounds like it might address this which is great, but I hope not at the expense of what I enjoy about the original Sierra 2.

3. After the upgrade I will have a pair of great Seas woofers and cross-overs just wasting away. Knowing me, I will either build a box or buy a knock-down flat pack kit of similar dimensions and configuration to the Sierra 2 and build another set of speakers. The only problem is I will need tweeters. Can you provide the specifications of the original cross-over to assist in finding an appropriate tweeter. Any recommendations other than your Raal, which is too expensive for my level of speaker building craftsmanship? Also, anything too expensive and it would just make sense to just buy a set of EXs instead of upgrading.
    Last edited by whitey019; 07-26-2019 at 11:05 AM.