Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Sierra 2EX upgrade kit questions

Default Re: Sierra 2EX upgrade kit questions

I ended up canceling my order for the EX upgrades.................and just ordering a new set of domestic cabinet natural EX’s instead. I’ve got the S2’s up for sale but if they don’t sell I might just use them for a 2 channel set up or box them up and use for surrounds eventually.

Not sure how to hide 2 sets of speakers from the wife though. .
    Last edited by diesel79; 10-16-2019 at 12:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by rickm View Post
    Just received my Sierra 2-EX upgrade kit. Installation went smoothly. Directions are first rate and easy to follow. Only tools needed are a phillips screwdriver and a ½ inch socket. I thought the Sierra 2's were great (and they are). The addition of the upgrade kit takes them to a new and higher level! The sound is even "awesomer!" The base is noticeably deep and lower. I turned my sub's volume down a bit. When listening to music I thought I knew very well, it sounds like there are new instruments playing in the song. Subtle clarity is improved. I'm overwhelmed by the added details. Every thing Dave has said about this upgrade is true. If funds permit, I'd highly recommend doing this upgrade. I think of my speakers as "Sierra 3's" now!
    Thanks for sharing your experience installing the upgrade kit. I have a new set of Sierra 2’s and intend to upgrade by either shipping them back for the swap and new frequency read-outs, or just ordering the kits.

Can you share how long it took you to take out the crossover and woofer and make the replacements? Did you hit any obstacles in the process? If it’s not too bad I may attempt it rather than incurring the cost of shipping. Thanks.

The process is super easy, just make sure you have a plier/rachet/wrench of appropriated size and length and a short philip screw driver. I use plier and a short philip driver and is all good.

Quote Originally Posted by RicardoJoa View Post
    The process is super easy, just make sure you have a plier/rachet/wrench of appropriated size and length and a short philip screw driver. I use plier and a short philip driver and is all good.
    Wow thanks! That sounds doable.

I agree. If you know which end of the screw driver goes in your hand, you will be good to go. The directions are detailed yet very clear. I'm a rather slow and deliberate worker. The installation took about 2 hours and 15 minutes. I went to my garage each time I needed a tool. Time well spent!

Quote Originally Posted by davef View Post
    If you mean to keep the NrT dome and use the EX woofer, we already have a design for this and the customer absolutely we made this for loves the speakers. I don't know if he is a forum member, if he is -- hopefully he will post something. That said, yes - we can do this.

If you want to convert Sierra-1 NrT to Sierra-2EX, you just need to order the Sierra-1 -> Sierra-2EX kits.
    Yes,

I'm the one who had this speaker specially made. I think it sounds amazing. I had the ribbon previously so that should give you an idea of how good they sound. The ribbon was a bit too tame for me in the upper treble region. For anyone with the nrt that wants to keep the dome the nrt with the ex woofer is 110% worth it and sounds awesome. Tight authoritative base, great punch. Ex woofer integrates well with the nrt.

^Those yours on eBay?

Does the orientation of the RAAL matter, aka, is it possible to accidentally re-install the RAAL "upside down?"

Also, how are people protecting the ribbon while doing the upgrade? I've misplaced by protected sleeves and don't exactly trust myself not to damage them while doing the EX upgrade.

Quote Originally Posted by goldark View Post
    Does the orientation of the RAAL matter, aka, is it possible to accidentally re-install the RAAL "upside down?"

Also, how are people protecting the ribbon while doing the upgrade? I've misplaced by protected sleeves and don't exactly trust myself not to damage them while doing the EX upgrade.
    As long as the tweeter is installed vertically (if you are using the speakers in the vertical position) - there is no top or bottom on the tweeter so there is no upside down or right side up for that matter.

The thing with the ribbons you need to be concerned about is that they have very powerful magnets inside and will literally pull any tiny metal fragments towards the ribbon. If a particle gets past the screen, it will tear the ribbon. So, if you don't have the sleeves available, I recommend placing a piece of blue painter's masking tape over the entire rectangular opening. Gently peel this off when ready...
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Wow. Good information. Sorta like an MRI machine with the magnet! When I finally get my upgrade, I'll keep that in mind. I will keep my mechanical watch far away! Dumb question.... so the magnets are in the ribbons or are they behind the ribbons in the enclosure?