Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 LastLast

Thread: Introducing the Sierra-2EX!!!

Default Re: Introducing the Sierra-2EX!!!

I got my S2-EX and Duo center today, amazing first impressions and looking forward to breaking them in a bit. Based on suggestions from other threads I also got the Sanua SF-26 stands. Since the speakers don’t have screw holes on the bottom, what is the best way to sit them on the stands? Just use the included pads? I imagine the SF-26 spike screws aren’t a great option?

I wouldn't screw into the speaker cabinets. Blu-Tac works well. A bit on the stand top on each corner and the center, then set the speaker on it & press.

Damn I took a leave for 5 years then saw this release, sold my Sierra 2 RAALs 5 mins later, now trying to decide which cabinet finish to get.

Greetings Ascend Acoustics fans. I've been working my way through these wonderful speakers; starting with S1's, then S2's and now the 2EX. I have personally owned more than 35 pairs of speakers and I have to say the build quality and sound quality at this price point is nothing short of amazing. I'm an amateur reviewer, cutting my teeth one week at a time.

If you are interested in my take with how special I think the 2EX are, please see my breakdown video. Thank you all.

https://youtu.be/NquRKdH5RWk

Exclamation Re: Introducing the Sierra-2EX!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 2ChannelListening View Post
    Greetings Ascend Acoustics fans. I've been working my way through these wonderful speakers; starting with S1's, then S2's and now the 2EX. I have personally owned more than 35 pairs of speakers and I have to say the build quality and sound quality at this price point is nothing short of amazing. I'm an amateur reviewer, cutting my teeth one week at a time.

If you are interested in my take with how special I think the 2EX are, please see my breakdown video. Thank you all.

2CL,

Hello and Welcome to the AA Forum!

I viewed your Sierra 2EX review as soon as it came out...wonderful report and as being a new 2EX owner myself (past 6 weeks), I have to agree with your comments of the superior midrange, bass punch and extension the "EX" brings to the Sierra 2! They have amazing prowess in energizing my listening room with very natural, tight and extremely well defined upper/lower midrange and upper/lower bass. Tonality and resolution are excellent in their response range and Dave has fitted these EX perfectly to the RAAL custom trademark tweeter...VERY SWEET!!

I listen to orchestral, large choral and pipe organ (+ jazz, blues, small string-wind ensembles, solo vocals), thus have the 2EX's paired with a very musical sub. High pass and low pass are set to 50hz and top to bottom (30Khz down to 18hz), and in my dedicated 2-channel music room, I am missing...NOTHING!!!

I also need to add that with the 2EX (vs Sierra2 and Sierra1 NrT), the soundstage is better defined, has much more air around the performers and can easily extend Well Beyond all room boundaries in my intimate near field 90sf sound room!! All genre of acoustical and amplified music comes closest to "live performances" as I ever heard. The 2EX's offer a critical and accurate window not only into the music, but also the recorded venue, the medium (mics, mixing, etc.) and the energy and soul of the performers...Thanks Dave!!!

Ted
    Sierra RAAL V2 Towers, Axiom EP 500 Sub, Morrow SP7 Grand Reference Speaker Cables, Phillips CD880 XLR Balanced Variable Line Output to Orchard Audio Strakrimson 375w/per ch Stereo Ultra GaNFET Amp..... (Dedicated 2.1 Acoustical Music Listening Room)!

Much appreciated Ted, thank you for the warm welcome!

I believe you when you say you are missing nothing. Nice CD player by the way. I will be lurking from time to time

- Jason

Thumbs up Re: Introducing the Sierra-2EX!!!

Much appreciated Ted, thank you for the warm welcome!

I believe you when you say you are missing nothing. Nice CD player by the way. I will be lurking from time to time

- Jason
    Thanks Jason. After 33 years, it started skipping last week. I took off the cover and lightly cleaned the laser housing lens with Ronson lighter fluid on a q-tip! Have about 24 hrs of listening since without a single tracking error...seems to sound even better than when new!!!

Ted
    Sierra RAAL V2 Towers, Axiom EP 500 Sub, Morrow SP7 Grand Reference Speaker Cables, Phillips CD880 XLR Balanced Variable Line Output to Orchard Audio Strakrimson 375w/per ch Stereo Ultra GaNFET Amp..... (Dedicated 2.1 Acoustical Music Listening Room)!

Jason, I enjoyed your review!

A couple minor corrections:
    1. The SEAS Excel woofer was originally created to pair with SEAS' Diamond tweeters that Dave
    created a Sierra Diamond speaker that sold for $7K/pair. All of us customers asked if he could pair
    that woofer with the RAAL and create an uber Sierra-2.

2. The woofer is a 6" vs 5 1/4"

Other than that, great job!
    Last edited by Mag_Neato; 03-16-2021 at 12:35 PM.
    Ed

* Sierra-2EX's W/V2 crossover upgrade
    * (2) Rythmik F12's
    * Parasound Halo P6
    * Audio by Van Alstine DVA-M225 Monoblock Amps
    * MiniDSP 2x4HD For Sub calibration
    *World's Best Cables Canare 4S11 speaker cables

Thank you for that correction, it was a little confusing when taking the measurements. I will go back and add a line in the comments. Thanks for the clarification!

Quote Originally Posted by theophile View Post
    Thanks Jason. After 33 years, it started skipping last week. I took off the cover and lightly cleaned the laser housing lens with Ronson lighter fluid on a q-tip! Have about 24 hrs of listening since without a single tracking error...seems to sound even better than when new!!!

Ted
    That is really impressive.