Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 61

Thread: Introducing the Sierra-2EX!!!

  1. #31
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Lahaina, HI
    Posts
    33

    Default Re: Introducing the Sierra-2EX!!!

    Does the Sierra-2EX have much of an advantage over the Sierra-Luna Speaker when operating with a pair of subwoofers and a 80Hz crossover point?

  2. #32
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Just outside Pearland, TX
    Posts
    94

    Default Re: Introducing the Sierra-2EX!!!

    Ugh, crushed by timing. I thought it would take Dave much longer to get everything worked out with SEAS, and a little less than two months ago spent $816 to upgrade my S1 NrTs to S2s. Waited like six years from the release of the S2s to do that.

    If I had just waited those two short months, for a mere $162 more I could have gone to S2-EXs, which I totally would have done. Now it's going to cost me $656 to get to EXs, and that's just too rich.

    Moral of the story: postpone purchases!

    Someone with S2s please do the upgrade and tell me it's not a big deal.
    Sierra-2s in study, Sierra-1 NrTs in office, HTM-200s in kitchen. Brother owns CMT-340s and dad has a pair of CBM-170s.

  3. #33
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Central NC
    Posts
    68

    Default Re: Introducing the Sierra-2EX!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by SunByrne View Post
    Moral of the story: postpone purchases!
    You can certainly do that.

    My take is somewhat different: Buy the biggest bang for the buck you can find, only *when you need it*, and don't look back.

    Second guessing after the fact is a waste of time at best, and corrosive at worst. Buy what you need, then move on. This is the only method I've found that actually works against GAS. Of course YMMV as everyone works differently.
    "If it sounds good, it is good." -- Duke Ellington

  4. #34
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Manhattan Beach, California
    Posts
    6,328

    Default Re: Introducing the Sierra-2EX!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Watson View Post
    You can certainly do that.

    My take is somewhat different: Buy the biggest bang for the buck you can find, only *when you need it*, and don't look back.

    Second guessing after the fact is a waste of time at best, and corrosive at worst. Buy what you need, then move on. This is the only method I've found that actually works against GAS. Of course YMMV as everyone works differently.
    Agreed. There is always something better around the corner...Dave is always looking to improve and offer more "bang for the buck".

    I have heard the new 2EX, and it sounds great. I have not directly compared to the standard Sierra-2, so ignorance is bliss.

    It is on my list to compare/upgrade, but I have other priorities for my system, which also are in line with other priorities for my play money. I just bought a new pre/pro, and the hardware to put together a Roon ROCK(doing that today). Next up is an e-bike, then Atmos(which will require more/new amplification) and a new BBQ. Atmos and the BBQ are fighting for priority.
    -curtis

  5. #35
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    296

    Default Re: Introducing the Sierra-2EX!!!

    Congrats Dave on the new product release! I think this is going to be a big hit. I wish I could upgrade now, but my budget just doesn't have to room for it right now. But one day it will happen!

  6. #36
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Posts
    1

    Default Re: Introducing the Sierra-2EX!!!

    I'm really excited about the Sierra-2EX as I was already saving up for S2s.

    I'm interested to know more about the differences between domestic cabinets vs. standard cabinets. Specifically, I'm looking at the natural finish.

    BTW, I recently got a pair of cbm-170 SEs and I'm very happy with them and will use them as surrounds later.

    Thanks! -Tom K

  7. #37

    Default Re: Introducing the Sierra-2EX!!!

    I'm going to be throwing the sierra -2ex's on a pair of Monolith by Monoprice stands. I was wondering how best to secure the speakers to the stands? I've heard blu tak frequently mentioned as being good, but am worried about them damaging the speakers if I ever have to remove the tak similar to this instance:

    https://www.canuckaudiomart.com/deta...nal-packaging/

    Does anyone know if blu tak could damage these speakers or have any other recommendations on how to secure them?

  8. #38
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    4,032

    Default Re: Introducing the Sierra-2EX!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by Chucka View Post
    Does the Sierra-2EX have much of an advantage over the Sierra-Luna Speaker when operating with a pair of subwoofers and a 80Hz crossover point?
    Quite a bit more midbass punch with the Sierra-2EX, combined with a bit higher efficiency and overall better dynamics. Sierra-2EX also sound a bit warmer overall compared to the Luna.
    .
    .
    .
    Good Sound To You!

    David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

  9. #39
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Posts
    1

    Default Re: Introducing the Sierra-2EX!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by trollbearpig_what View Post
    I'm going to be throwing the sierra -2ex's on a pair of Monolith by Monoprice stands. I was wondering how best to secure the speakers to the stands? I've heard blu tak frequently mentioned as being good, but am worried about them damaging the speakers if I ever have to remove the tak similar to this instance:

    https://www.canuckaudiomart.com/deta...nal-packaging/

    Does anyone know if blu tak could damage these speakers or have any other recommendations on how to secure them?
    I’ve been using Blu-Tack for a couple years with my Sierra Luna’s with no issues at all (domestic cabinets, satin cherry finish). That includes the first time that I had used Blu-Tack and thought I needed an entire package for 2 speakers, needless to say it was very hard to get them off the stands again but the finish was completely undamaged.

    A small square on each corner provides enough holding force to lift up the Sanus NF series stands I’ve been using with the speaker while not being too hard to remove or reposition. Not sure if it matters but I’ve always used the name brand.

  10. #40

    Default Re: Introducing the Sierra-2EX!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by Telemars View Post
    I’ve been using Blu-Tack for a couple years with my Sierra Luna’s with no issues at all (domestic cabinets, satin cherry finish). That includes the first time that I had used Blu-Tack and thought I needed an entire package for 2 speakers, needless to say it was very hard to get them off the stands again but the finish was completely undamaged.

    A small square on each corner provides enough holding force to lift up the Sanus NF series stands I’ve been using with the speaker while not being too hard to remove or reposition. Not sure if it matters but I’ve always used the name brand.
    Wow the whole package?! Ha that's insane..glad to hear it didn't damage your finish! I already purchased this one which seems similar to Blu Tak but claims to be more safe to remove for wood. I'm assuming the hold isn't as strong as Blu Tak but I'll give this one a try and see how it holds. If it's garbage I'm falling back on the Blu Tak. Thanks!

    Quakehold! 88111 Museum Putty Neutral https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0002VA9NA..._NTXpDbKQQ5HP1

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •