Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Introducing the Sierra-2EX!!!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Introducing the Sierra-2EX!!!

Sierra-2EX !!!

A little over 3-years ago on his annual visit with us, Claus Futtrup (CTO at SEAS Norway) introduced us to a new super high end diamond tweeter, called the White Diamond. I was extremely impressed with this tweeter and requested that SEAS build us up a matching cost-no-object woofer based on specific parameters to meet our performance goals.

About a year later after many samples, we had our new woofer and we started building and selling custom Sierra Diamond speakers. This is all detailed on our forum in this thread: http://forum.ascendacoustics.com/sho...iamond-Tweeter

The performance of this speaker was astonishing, but customers as well as those who auditioned our Sierra Diamond noted that as impressed as they were with the diamond tweeter, the woofer was equally impressive. I fully agreed. The midbass punch, bass extension, midrange detail, frequency response linearity, and overall dynamics was the best I had ever come across in a woofer this size, and even compared to many larger woofers.

Our own customers started to inquire about using this woofer in many of our designs, including our most successful speaker to date, our award winning Sierra-2. Problem was, being a true custom build - each of these woofers was being hand made for us by SEAS’s engineering team. These had never been mass produced and then there was the issue of cost. Our EX woofer is part of SEAS’s Excel line, using an optimized version of the venerable W16 motor system – customized to best match a new specially treated Curv woofer cone. Retail pricing on W16 woofers is typically in the range of $280 and up. While we pay less than that for volume purchases, our EX woofer is a purely custom build compared to the stock W16, thus retail pricing is even higher.

We were left with some daunting challenges. Will SEAS be able to reliably mass manufacture these woofers (they were not sure) and how would we be able to use this woofer in our Sierra-2 without a rather dramatic price increase?

As a company, we have always tried to give our customers and fans what they ask for – this is a major advantage of selling direct – we get to communicate directly with all of our customers. Upon witnessing the massive amount of interest in a Sierra-2 with this woofer, I became fully committed to make it happen. SEAS went to work on optimizing manufacturing processes and parts procurement – while we committed to purchasing a large enough supply to make it beneficial for both SEAS and Ascend, and get the per unit pricing down to as low as possible, a true win-win.

As we now enter our 20th year of business and in celebration of this milestone –

This woofer brings a few things to the table...

The Excel motor systems are known for having extremely low inductance; this woofer has less than half the inductance of the standard S2 woofer, which is already low. This combined with a significant reduction in moving mass, 22% lower to be exact, and a more powerful magnet system provides exceptionally deep bass and much improved transients and dynamics.

This woofer hits hard - there is more punch and bass extends lower than much larger woofers. Even with an 80Hz crossover, listeners will sense the greater impact due to the enhanced midbass.

The extremely low inductance combined with a new damping treatment being used on the Curv cone provides improved self-damping (which is already superb with the S2 woofer and why we chose the Curv cone in the first place) and greater high frequency extension and detail.

The huge copper phase plug improves off-axis dispersion, greatly reduces any beaming, works in conjunction with the pure copper upper and lower Faraday rings to reduce distortion, linearize magnetic flux and improve power handling and thermal compression by acting as a massive heat sink...

In simpler terms, mids are cleaner - smoother sounding with more weight to them (they sound warmer, fuller with more detail). Because of the upper end improvements, we can use a steeper high pass filter slope on the tweeter, easing the workload on the ribbon tweeter which in turn increases power handling, lowers distortion and provides for an even better overall blend between the woofer and tweeter.

The Sierra-2EX sounds like our Sierra-2, but is warmer/fuller, cleaner (especially at louder volume levels), more musical and with rather shocking dynamics. And, if run full range - the bass response seems to defy the laws of physics -- it is tower-like. In direct A/B comparisons with speakers using very high quality larger woofers, the EX woofer hit harder and deeper. I have never actually heard a bookshelf speaker with this kind of bass response before...

The Sierra-2EX improves upon every performance aspect of the Sierra-2 and the measurements are outstanding!

We are excited to release the Sierra-2EX, and in celebration of our 20th Anniversary – we are introducing the speaker at an incredible price.

For Sierra-2 owners who wish to upgrade, we also have an upgrade “kit” available.

And for more good news, Sierra-2EX is already in production and shipping!

The Sierra-2EX is a benchmark product and thanks to the feedback and inquiries from all of you – we fully committed ourselves to making it happen and we could not be any more pleased with the results.

Enjoy!
    Last edited by davef; 07-25-2019 at 12:38 AM.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Default Re: Introducing the Sierra-2EX!!!

Looks awesome.

Just sent email with questions.
    Last edited by diesel79; 08-22-2019 at 08:32 AM.

Awesome news! Is there kit pricing listed somewhere?
    Ed

* Sierra-2EX's W/V2 crossover upgrade
    * (2) Rythmik F12's
    * Parasound Halo P6
    * Audio by Van Alstine DVA-M225 Monoblock Amps
    * MiniDSP 2x4HD For Sub calibration
    *World's Best Cables Canare 4S11 speaker cables

Also curious about the upgrade kit pricing. Then I'll have to decide whether I should get the upgrade kit or the upcoming Luna Duo first....

Super cool. Bet these are monsters.

However, now I wish I had waited to upgrade my S1 NrTs to S2s, since I just did that like two months ago. I kinda thought the timeline on this would be a little longer. OTOH, since I don't know what this little beastie costs relative to the regular S1->S2 upgrade, I don't know if I would have done it. Definitely will be interested in seeing the price.

Dave, I'm still planning on visiting Ascend mid-August. I'll be able to listen to one of these, yes?
    Luna Duo V2 LR, Titan Horizon V2, and Rythmik L22 & L12 in HT, Sierra-LXs in study, S-2EXs and Duo V2 C in bedroom, S-1 NrTs in dining room, S-1s at work, HTM-200s in kitchen. Brother owns CMT-340s and dad has a pair of CBM-170s.

Amazing news, Dave! Quick question, though: Does the slight difference in the size/location of the rear port on the standard vs. domestic cabinets make any audible difference to how these sound? Is there any sonic advantage to going with the slightly more expensive domestic cabinets, or is it more an aesthetic (and patriotic) upgrade?

Thanks!
    New system (coming soon!)
    • Outlaw Audio RR2160 receiver
    • Ascend Sierra-2 bookshelf speakers
    • SVS SB-2000 subwoofers (2)

Quote Originally Posted by SunByrne View Post
    Super Dave, I'm still planning on visiting Ascend mid-August. I'll be able to listen to one of these, yes?
    Absolutely - S2EX are in our demo room.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Do these still image crazy like the sierra2?
    I really enjoy the imaging and separation of instruments of the sierra2 throws out.

Finally, an upgrade path for S2’s! Someone please come up with a DIY cabinet so we can make use of the old woofers as a small sub enclosure.

Dave,
    Thanks for posting the kit info on the EX product page!
    Ed

* Sierra-2EX's W/V2 crossover upgrade
    * (2) Rythmik F12's
    * Parasound Halo P6
    * Audio by Van Alstine DVA-M225 Monoblock Amps
    * MiniDSP 2x4HD For Sub calibration
    *World's Best Cables Canare 4S11 speaker cables