Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 LastLast

Thread: Introducing the Sierra-2EX!!!

Default Re: Introducing the Sierra-2EX!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Agd View Post
    One thing I would love to hear is if the new woofers add weight to some of the transition frequencies that I think are limitations of the bookshelf comapared to tower.
    Sierra-2EX (or any speaker for that matter) doesn't "add" weight to specific frequencies. This speaker is designed to reproduce frequencies as recorded. However, because the S2-EX has greater bass extension combined with a shallower bass roll off, there is more bass and mid-bass -- which adds "weight" to all frequencies.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Just catching up on the EX's, wow! I consider myself a "junior audiophile", with little exposure to most of the industry, but since a kid, always trying to maximize sound quality (so happy when I bought a demo-model stereo VHS/TV tuner to connect to my used Luxman integrated amp!).

Just have to say, with all of the upgrades I have done in the last couple years, the Sierra-2 w/RAAL as my main L/R has been fantastic. I am seriously considering the upgrade to EX, while at the same time considering "relegating" the Sierra-2's to L/R surround duty and getting towers for main L/R...decisions, decisions...

But, thanks Dave and the Ascend team for the great products!
    Sierra Towers w/RAAL as L/R, Horizon w/RAAL as center, Sierra 2's w/RAAL as L/R surround, Marantz AVR7705, D-Sonic M3a-2800, Oppo BDP-105D, Panasonic UB820

Quote Originally Posted by esnewtunemakers View Post
    Just catching up on the EX's, wow! I consider myself a "junior audiophile", with little exposure to most of the industry, but since a kid, always trying to maximize sound quality (so happy when I bought a demo-model stereo VHS/TV tuner to connect to my used Luxman integrated amp!).

Just have to say, with all of the upgrades I have done in the last couple years, the Sierra-2 w/RAAL as my main L/R has been fantastic. I am seriously considering the upgrade to EX, while at the same time considering "relegating" the Sierra-2's to L/R surround duty and getting towers for main L/R...decisions, decisions...

But, thanks Dave and the Ascend team for the great products!
    Thank you! Very happy to hear that you continue to enjoy your Sierra-2's!! Send us an email or give us a call if you would like our recommendations.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

very excited to learn if tower upgrade will also be coming in future 😀

Watching this thread with great interest!
    I'm really hoping those members who have bought the SIERRA-2EX will post their listening impressions - including which speaker they have moved-up from and which amp they are using.
    Appreciated.

I used to be a Sierra Tower w/ RAAL owner, then got on the Salk bandwagon, mostly due to custom finishes not about sound quality because I was really pleased with the sound of the Towers. Now that I am in a smaller place, I am considering going back to Bookshelfs with BIG bass. Was considering the Salk Silk but now thinking about the Sierra 2EX. Dave, I would be curious to hear your opinions if you have compared the two and also as to why you, didn't opt for the 70-20 instead.

Quote Originally Posted by RRT-NPS View Post
    I used to be a Sierra Tower w/ RAAL owner, then got on the Salk bandwagon, mostly due to custom finishes not about sound quality because I was really pleased with the sound of the Towers. Now that I am in a smaller place, I am considering going back to Bookshelfs with BIG bass. Was considering the Salk Silk but now thinking about the Sierra 2EX. Dave, I would be curious to hear your opinions if you have compared the two and also as to why you, didn't opt for the 70-20 instead.
    The 2EX was created as a result of the EX woofer that was developed specifically to complement the SEAS White Diamond tweeter. It got such high praise that Sierra-2 owners overwhelmingly asked Dave to try and make it work with the Sierra-2's RAAL tweeter as another upgrade path.
    Ed

* Sierra-2EX's W/V2 crossover upgrade
    * (2) Rythmik F12's
    * Parasound Halo P6
    * Audio by Van Alstine DVA-M225 Monoblock Amps
    * MiniDSP 2x4HD For Sub calibration
    *World's Best Cables Canare 4S11 speaker cables

Quote Originally Posted by RRT-NPS View Post
    I am sorry but I have no personal experience with the Salk Silk monitor. That said, no company has sold more 70-20xr ribbons than we have, and other than the designer himself - has more experience with the 70-20 than I do.

There are only 2 advantages of the 70-20 over the Sierra-2 tweeter, one being that it can play louder and the other being that it can be crossed lower. With regard to playing louder - there is no single 5" - 6" woofer that I know of that can be properly mated to the RAAL 70-20 that can match the max output levels of the 70-20. (massive overkill) The fact that it can be crossed lower can definitely be advantageous -- it makes matching it to a woofer easier. In the case of the Sierra-2EX, the EX woofer is incredibly linear up to about 5kHz, it is a terrific match with the Sierra-2 ribbon.

That said, the 70-20xr costs considerably more than the S2 tweeter, thus we would be looking at a very significant price increase to the Sierra-2EX (retail price would be at least $2800/pair). In addition, the S2 ribbon tweeter has wider horizontal and vertical dispersion, which is what you want in a bookshelf sized speaker.

So, given the advantage of a lower crossover point with the 70-20xr combined with significantly higher pricing, vs wider dispersion and a much friendlier price point with the S2 ribbon tweeter - this was one of the easier decisions to make.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Quote Originally Posted by davef View Post
    ...the 70-20xr costs considerably more than the S2 tweeter, thus we would be looking at a very significant price increase to the Sierra-2EX (retail price would be at least $2800/pair). ...
    That's RAAL Tower money!

Quote Originally Posted by davef View Post
    I am sorry but I have no personal experience with the Salk Silk monitor. That said, no company has sold more 70-20xr ribbons than we have, and other than the designer himself - has more experience with the 70-20 than I do.

There are only 2 advantages of the 70-20 over the Sierra-2 tweeter, one being that it can play louder and the other being that it can be crossed lower. With regard to playing louder - there is no single 5" - 6" woofer that I know of that can be properly mated to the RAAL 70-20 that can match the max output levels of the 70-20. (massive overkill) The fact that it can be crossed lower can definitely be advantageous -- it makes matching it to a woofer easier. In the case of the Sierra-2EX, the EX woofer is incredibly linear up to about 5kHz, it is a terrific match with the Sierra-2 ribbon.

That said, the 70-20xr costs considerably more than the S2 tweeter, thus we would be looking at a very significant price increase to the Sierra-2EX (retail price would be at least $2800/pair). In addition, the S2 ribbon tweeter has wider horizontal and vertical dispersion, which is what you want in a bookshelf sized speaker.

So, given the advantage of a lower crossover point with the 70-20xr combined with significantly higher pricing, vs wider dispersion and a much friendlier price point with the S2 ribbon tweeter - this was one of the easier decisions to make.
    Thank you for a very detailed and honest answer. It makes perfect sense. If the bass is as big (or bigger) than the Sierra 1, I am sure I will be please. Now to figure out what to do with my Supercharged Songtowers.