Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Introducing the Sierra-2EX!!!

Default Re: Introducing the Sierra-2EX!!!

Dave,

How does the Sierra-2EX center compare to the upcoming LUNA Duo?
    Last edited by rsmt2000; 07-26-2019 at 10:04 AM. Reason: Typo

Congrats on the go-live day for the new speakers Dave!! Price seems very reasonable to me so I just impulse bought the hell out of these...been watching the diamond thread for awhile. They'll be my first set of speakers and I'll be pairing with a refurbed NAD C 368 I ALSO just impulse bought ='D.

EXCITED!!

Quote Originally Posted by rsmt2000 View Post
    Dave,

How does the Sierra-2EX center compare to the upcoming LUNA Duo?
    I think it depends -- if someone is using Sierra-2EX as left/right and can fit the Sierra-2EX center (either vertically or horizontally) - I would then recommend the S2EX center. For nearly every other setup, I would still go with the forthcoming Duo.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Quote Originally Posted by RicardoJoa View Post
    Do these still image crazy like the sierra2?
    I really enjoy the imaging and separation of instruments of the sierra2 throws out.
    I feel the S2 EX do a better job with instrument separation compared to Sierra-2 (thanks to the new woofer and crossover which eases the work load on the ribbon). I honestly haven't noticed any differences in imaging between the 2 speakers. Technically - the S2-EX should image better as the off-axis response is a bit more linear, but I couldn't audibly detect this. However, that is not to say that you won't hear the imaging improvements with the S2EX.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Quote Originally Posted by trollbearpig_what View Post
    Congrats on the go-live day for the new speakers Dave!! Price seems very reasonable to me so I just impulse bought the hell out of these...been watching the diamond thread for awhile. They'll be my first set of speakers and I'll be pairing with a refurbed NAD C 368 I ALSO just impulse bought ='D.

EXCITED!!
    Thank you, and thanks so much for placing the order. For your first set of speakers, wow - you are jumping right into true high end audio - no better way to start this wonderful lifelong hobby and passion. I hope you absolutely love the speakers!
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Quote Originally Posted by Sam1000 View Post
    This is a nice woofer. very good chest thumping mid bass. Nice transients. I have tried it with couple of class D integrated amps(Devialet and Aavik) and it rocks. Highly recommended. I think this would mate really well with couple of rythmik F8s for a small form factor.
    Are you saying you have used the SEAS W16? If yes, I completely agree - the W16 is really special but keep in mind that while our EX woofer is based on the motor system of the W16, the cone, voice coil and former are very different, with overall considerably lower moving mass.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Quote Originally Posted by Fantom View Post
    I've been following the diamond thread in anticipation! This came together quicker than expected. Great work Dave!!

Some questions:
    What tools/skills are required to perform the upgrade from S2 to S2EX? Similar to the S1->S2 upgrade kit? Will there be an option to ship our S2 to Ascend to have you do the upgrade? And if so, how will self-upgrade vs factory upgrade affect warranty?
    S2 to S2EX is rather simple, I would say only skills required are some patience, somewhat dexterous hands, and experience with a screwdriver. Basically, you will need to first remove the woofer, then the tweeter, and then the crossover. Then install the new crossover, reinstall the tweeter - and then install the new woofer. No soldering would be required. It is very similar to this:

http://forum.ascendacoustics.com/sho...ons-with-video!
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Quote Originally Posted by Mag_Neato View Post
    Should be the same as doing the S1 to Nrt upgrade, only you are swapping woofers vs tweeters as well as crossovers. You should have a regular Phillips (+) head screwdriver and correctly sized hex socket/open end wrench for the speaker terminal connections.

See here: http://forum.ascendacoustics.com/sho...ons-with-video!

Just don't remove the tweeter, only the woofer!
    Minor correction: Tweeter must be removed in order to remove and install the new crossover.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

I'm already thoroughly enjoying my new Sierra 2's and the bass has not disappointed me at all in my room. But this upgrade and the benefits it brings are irresistible! Question...Will the upgrade effect the speaker's sensitivity?

Just found the product page with specs. By one dB
    Last edited by rifmon; 07-27-2019 at 07:10 AM.

Are there any plans to use the EX woofer in a new version of the tower?