Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Introducing the Sierra-2EX!!!

Default Re: Introducing the Sierra-2EX!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Fantom View Post
    I thought about doing the same thing, especially with the intro pricing on the 2EX. But I figured it could be a fun project and a way to learn, since I had never done an upgrade before.

I bought the S1 12 years ago now (they had just launched). I skipped the NRT upgrade and heard that early cabinets didn't do well with the S2 upgrade. So I sent my S1 into Ascend... and they were unable to upgrade the cabinets. So I'm glad I didn't try myself! Ascend sold me new cabinets at cost and I got brand new S2 speakers with a fresh warranty about 4 years ago.

So I debated it too and honestly it would cost you roughly the same and as a bonus someone else gets a set of amazing speakers! I didn't get any takers from friends for the S2 so I went ahead and ordered the upgrade kits. I just completed my S2 -> S2EX upgrade for 3 speakers (LCR). Not sure yet what to do with my spare parts.

They're breaking in and then I'll need to redo calibration, but I'm already loving the additional clarity and punch/dynamics!
    I have an original pair of cabinets from the first Sierra-1’s as well, but I have been able to do both the NrT and Sierra-2 upgrades myself. The Sierra-2 woofer did give me a difficult time as it had a larger outer diameter and would not fit without enlarging the opening. The original cabinets also had different spacing for the threaded inserts that the crossover board mounts to so I had to use self tapping wood screws to mount the new boards.

I will do the EX kits at some point as well.

I just upgraded/down graded from the s2 to a custom pair of nrt with ex woofers. The ribbons were too tame for my taste and personally preferred the nrt dome for rock. I personally can't imagine a woofer sounding any better. Special thanks to Dave for working with me and making my speakers custom. American made cabinets look great for any one considering and imo the ex woofer is well worth the additional cost. Thanks Dave and Dina. You guys are the best!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Crk140 View Post
    I just upgraded/down graded from the s2 to a custom pair of nrt with ex woofers. The ribbons were too tame for my taste and personally preferred the nrt dome for rock. I personally can't imagine a woofer sounding any better. Special thanks to Dave for working with me and making my speakers custom. American made cabinets look great for any one considering and imo the ex woofer is well worth the additional cost. Thanks Dave and Dina. You guys are the best!!!!!
    That sounds awesome! With all the attention the RAAL tweeters get it's easy to forget how good those NrT tweeters are. I had them prior to converting them to Sierra-2's. They definitely do rock.

The main thing I got from going to the RAALs was how more "Real" things sounded. The NrT has huge energy as frequency rises rather than rolling off, so it could get a bit "Bitey" at times, really good for certain genres of music like rock, metal, etc. On the downside to that it could over emphasize sibilance......to me. The RAAL gave me all the detail without all that "SSSSSSSSSSibilance", presenting a natural sounding presentation.

I wouldn't mind having a 2nd set of Sierra's w/NrT's to listen to on occasion.
    Ed

* Sierra-2EX's W/V2 crossover upgrade
    * (2) Rythmik F12's
    * Parasound Halo P6
    * Audio by Van Alstine DVA-M225 Monoblock Amps
    * MiniDSP 2x4HD For Sub calibration
    *World's Best Cables Canare 4S11 speaker cables

Quote Originally Posted by Mag_Neato View Post

I wouldn't mind having a 2nd set of Sierra's w/NrT's to listen to on occasion.
    I'm sure Dave & Dina would sell you a pair. JK ...

Quote Originally Posted by racrawford65 View Post
    I'm sure Dave & Dina would sell you a pair. JK ...
    That is a steep moss covered slope my friend.........
    Ed

* Sierra-2EX's W/V2 crossover upgrade
    * (2) Rythmik F12's
    * Parasound Halo P6
    * Audio by Van Alstine DVA-M225 Monoblock Amps
    * MiniDSP 2x4HD For Sub calibration
    *World's Best Cables Canare 4S11 speaker cables

Quote Originally Posted by Mag_Neato View Post
    That is a steep moss covered slope my friend.........
    Ed,
    apologies if you were offended. none was meant.
    Robert

Quote Originally Posted by Crk140 View Post
    You are very welcome and thanks for putting your confidence in us. We are thrilled you are enjoying them -- the EX woofer is really something special.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Quote Originally Posted by racrawford65 View Post
    Ed,
    apologies if you were offended. none was meant.
    Robert
    Robert, it’s all good, no worries! None taken.

Omg I haven't been following the forums and this news drops?? Big congrats to the entire ascend team! Really believe this is the greatest value in HiFi. I'm literally dying that I missed out by two months, I just bought Sierra 2s and could have gotten the EX for $50 more... People need to be jumping on this, that's a crazy deal. Wish I was a little more patient!

One thing I would love to hear is if the new woofers add weight to some of the transition frequencies that I think are limitations of the bookshelf comapared to tower.

One of my benchmark songs is Hotel California, and the vocal track being over weighted by the treble hihat and guitar work (which are compelling in their own right). Or the low-mid bass weight of sound of silence by disturbed. It's one of those songs that a good tower can add presence to that some bookshelves can struggle to fill. Would love to hear those that have made the upgrade report how these challenging bands have changed