Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Towers!

Default New Towers!

Received my Satin Black Bamboo Towers with RAAL last week and moved my Sierra 2's to surround duty. I am really impressed with the Towers. The S2's were excellent but the towers are definitely a step up. Thanks Dina & Dave.

Rest of my system:
    • Rest of Speakers: Sierra 2 Center, HTM200SE (FR Heights), Rythmik E15HP
    • Processor: Anthem MRX720
    • Amps: Rogue Audio Atlas Magnum II (Fronts) and Emotiva UPA7 (C, Surrounds, Heights)
    • Digital Sources: Oppo 203, Oppo 103D, Roku Ultra
    • Analog: VPI Classic I with 3D arm, VAS Nova 0.8mV HW Special, Manley Chinook, Phoenix Engineering Eagle/RoadRunner
    • TV: LG OLED 65E6P
    • Other: APC H15, Symposium Segue ISO/Segue/RollerBlock Jrs, Isoacoustics GAIA III

IMG_0019.JPGIMG_0024.JPGIMG_0025.JPGIMG_0027.JPG
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by racrawford65; 05-29-2019 at 01:01 PM.

Default Re: New Towers!

Nice! What is it you like about the Towers compared to the S2s? Do you think you'll want to change your center now?

Quote Originally Posted by racrawford65 View Post
    Received my Satin Black Bamboo Towers with RAAL last week and moved my Sierra 2's to surround duty. I am really impressed with the Towers. The S2's were excellent but the towers are definitely a step up. Thanks Dina & Dave.

Rest of my system:
    • Rest of Speakers: Sierra 2 Center, HTM200SE (FR Heights), Rythmik E15HP
    • Processor: Anthem MRX720
    • Amps: Rogue Audio Atlas Magnum II (Fronts) and Emotiva UPA7 (C, Surrounds, Heights)
    • Digital Sources: Oppo 203, Oppo 103D, Roku Ultra
    • Analog: VPI Classic I with 3D arm, VAS Nova 0.8mV HW Special, Manley Chinook, Phoenix Engineering Eagle/RoadRunner
    • TV: LG OLED 65E6P
    • Other: APC H15, Symposium Segue ISO/Segue/RollerBlock Jrs, Isoacoustics GAIA III

IMG_0019.JPGIMG_0024.JPGIMG_0025.JPGIMG_0027.JPG
    They look great and I am happy you are enjoying them. Thank you!
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Thanks, Dave.

Jimb - sorry about the delay in replying. Was out of the country for a few days and just got back Sunday.

As mentioned above, I think the S2's are really great speakers, particularly when used with a subwoofer. I was amazed with them when I first got them a few years ago. At the time, I had seriously considered the towers but decided to save a bit of money, figuring if I did move to the towers later, I could use the S2's as surrounds or set up a second system.

To me, the towers take everything the S2's do well (eg detail, transparency, natural/airy sound, etc.) up a notch. Obviously, they play a bit louder as more efficient and can play lower (not really an advantage if using a subwoofer). I think the towers are clearer and more detailed, particularly at lower volumes. A bit easier to hear different instruments. This is a big plus for me as my hearing isn't what it used to be and for WAF as she doesn't like to listen loud.

Another plus is the soundstage -- the towers have a wider / bigger soundstage. I feel more as if I'm in the front row instead of row 3 or 4.

Finally, the towers sound "fuller" to me, likely because of the dedicated mid-range, especially with vinyl (which is about 90% of my listening). . The S2s were very good with vinyl, the towers just sound better with this source. OF course with either speaker, poor pressings still sound poor.

I've only watched one movie with the Towers -- and they are also great for HT.

As to center channel upgrade, I'm undecided at this point since I am mostly music. The S2 works fine for me (I do up the center channel level a few db's). If I did upgrade the center, it would likely be to try the upcoming Luna LCR as the Horizon would be overkill for me (plus its a bit big for my setup and the Luna LCR would fit under my current tv riser.

Hope this helps.

Perfect reply for me! Have you considered the low profile Horizon version?

Don't have any details (dimensions specifically) on the low profile Horizon. Also, isn't this a custom order - so possibly additional cost? If it fits in my current space, I'd consider it as an option. See you posted in the Luna thread on how it compares soundwise to the new Luna. I'd be interested in input on that, as well.

Dave already said the standard Horizon is better than Luna Duo. I expect 'slim' Horizon is, as well, but I wanted to confirm the specifics.

Quote Originally Posted by racrawford65 View Post
    Don't have any details (dimensions specifically) on the low profile Horizon. Also, isn't this a custom order - so possibly additional cost? If it fits in my current space, I'd consider it as an option. See you posted in the Luna thread on how it compares soundwise to the new Luna. I'd be interested in input on that, as well.
    The low profile horizon is a purely custom build. There are no standard dimensions for this as we work with the customer so that it will properly fit their space. Minimum height is 8" though.

Because this is custom and due to exponentially rising costs combined with the high quality drivers, the cost is very expensive, about $800-$1000 more than the standard Horizon.

If the standard Horizon is too large, I would recommend giving the forthcoming Luna Duo a try before even considering the custom low profile Horizon. The Duo is a terrific center and blends well with the Towers, and when combined with a sub - offers rather shocking dynamics for a speaker of this size.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Thanks for the response, Dave.
    I figured the low profile Horizon was a custom build and more expensive than the standard. I could make the standard Horizon work but would have to ditch the TV riser and put the tv directly on top of the Horizon (or mount the TV to the entertainment center). I have about 9" height and 20" width under the riser, so the Duo should fit no problem based on dimensions posted in the Luna thread. Of course, I am happy with the S2 as a center -- it does a great job and I'm mostly music anyways.
    Last edited by racrawford65; 06-06-2019 at 02:28 AM.

OMG. Marillion!

Went to Enschede for the Night of the Company/Night of the Jester. I also caught Fish later in Boston.
    I also just went nuts on Discogs grabbing a bunch of his solo vinyl. Preorder is in for the Jesters box sets in digital and viny. Oops, missed the digital Childhood release.

Fish_1.jpg
    Fish_2.jpg