Thread: Sierra 2's with Primare i30 Integrated

Default Sierra 2's with Primare i30 Integrated

Howdy! been thinking a lot lately about changing my speakers out which are the original Nola Boxers. don't get me wrong, these are very good and have enjoyed them for 4+ years but.....the Sierra 2's have me intrigued especially because of the RAAL tweeter. I can listen to the Boxers for hours on end with no ear bleeding, forward and in your face sound. they also sound very good off axis and even if we're sitting in another room. so how would you say the Sierra 2's would compare? my room size is 20' x 14' with a 10' ceiling and is open to a 6 ft. wide hallway that also goes to our kitchen & living room via open walkways. basically, an open floor plan. I have the Primare i30 integrated which is 100w-8 ohms and 180w-4 ohms. I also have one Rythmik L12 sub. thanks for any info.

Default Re: Sierra 2's with Primare i30 Integrated

Quote Originally Posted by Jrh View Post
    Howdy! been thinking a lot lately about changing my speakers out which are the original Nola Boxers. don't get me wrong, these are very good and have enjoyed them for 4+ years but.....the Sierra 2's have me intrigued especially because of the RAAL tweeter. I can listen to the Boxers for hours on end with no ear bleeding, forward and in your face sound. they also sound very good off axis and even if we're sitting in another room. so how would you say the Sierra 2's would compare? my room size is 20' x 14' with a 10' ceiling and is open to a 6 ft. wide hallway that also goes to our kitchen & living room via open walkways. basically, an open floor plan. I have the Primare i30 integrated which is 100w-8 ohms and 180w-4 ohms. I also have one Rythmik L12 sub. thanks for any info.
    I've never listened to the Nola Boxers before, but I can definitely listen to my Sierra-2s for hours with no fatigue. The Raal tweeter is superb. So detailed and smooth at the same time. Never sounds harsh.

I've listened to the boxers, nice smooth sounding speakers, a bit on the laid back / relaxed sound. I think what you will hear in comparing them to the S2's is quite a bit more midrange and high frequency detail, combined with a very smooth sound but with more "airy" highs. Sierra-2 will have wider horizontal dispersion than the Nola Boxer, and I very frequently listen to S2's from a different room (S2's in our listening room, while I am in the front office).

If you are looking for more detail and a more airy top end without ever sounding harsh or fatiguing, our S2's are an excellent choice.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

thanks very much for that info Dave. have you heard the Sierra 2's with a single Rythmik L12 and if so how is the integration? sorry for all the questions, just trying to get things right. take care.

thanks very much for that info Dave. have you heard the Sierra 2's with a single Rythmik L12 and if so how is the integration? sorry for all the questions, just trying to get things right. take care.
    My pleasure -- and yes, not only have I heard Sierra-2's with a Rythmik 12" -- this is our main setup in our demo room and they are playing a good 6 hours per day minimum (although we use an F12 in the demo room, which is basically the same thing with just slightly more output and a few more features)

Integration between any of our speakers and Rythmik subs is ideal - we use Rythmik subs exclusively for bass tuning.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

thanks again Dave, thats great to know. I wonder what you would suggest for the settings with the Sierra 2 with the Rythmik L12? I have the Rythmik L12 set to 55Hz for crossover setting with both the delay/phase and volume set at 12:00 with the Nola's. take care.

thanks again Dave, thats great to know. I wonder what you would suggest for the settings with the Sierra 2 with the Rythmik L12? I have the Rythmik L12 set to 55Hz for crossover setting with both the delay/phase and volume set at 12:00 with the Nola's. take care.
    This is very room dependent, but I generally recommend a crossover point of between 60-80Hz with the Sierra-2. I think 55Hz is too deep for the Nola's...
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

thanks Dave for that info!

Placed my order today for the Sierra 2 in satin espresso. looking forward to them with my Primare and Rythmik L2. room size is pretty big so hopefully they will be fine. my Nola Boxers have served me well for 4+ yrs so should be interesting comparison. thanks David and Mike for your insights.