Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: CBM-170's?

Default Re: CBM-170's?

Quote Originally Posted by tkrae11 View Post
    Dave, I'm interested to know - when one of your mid-tweeter (MT) speakers is sold as a center (such as the cbm-170 or sierra-1,2), is the crossover changed to compensate for any effects that might have been created by having the drivers side by side (I think I might be talking about lobing effects, but I'm pretty ignorant on this)? I have heard that this is done with MTM speakers and was wondering if it also applies to MT configurations.
    (BTW, I'm aware that the tweeter gets rotated 90degrees in this case)
    Thanks!
    Tom
    For an MT speaker it is all about optimum integration between the tweeter and woofer. With crossover design, that would not change whether the speaker is positioned vertically or horizontally.

With an MTM like the 340 (with large diameter woofers), when positioned horizontally the designer must do what he can to limit off-axis lobing - one method is to lower the crossover point. In addition, with the 340 center, we put additional optimizations in place to counter the effects of having an extended baffle that is created with placing the speaker on a console, typical of center channel placement.

Depending on the design of the tweeter, it may or may not need to be rotated.

Hope this makes sense!
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Quote Originally Posted by davef View Post
    For an MT speaker it is all about optimum integration between the tweeter and woofer. With crossover design, that would not change whether the speaker is positioned vertically or horizontally.

With an MTM like the 340 (with large diameter woofers), when positioned horizontally the designer must do what he can to limit off-axis lobing - one method is to lower the crossover point. In addition, with the 340 center, we put additional optimizations in place to counter the effects of having an extended baffle that is created with placing the speaker on a console, typical of center channel placement.

Depending on the design of the tweeter, it may or may not need to be rotated.

Hope this makes sense!
    Thanks Dave, that's interesting and makes sense. Does the 170 tweeter need rotating if the speaker is rotated? Can this be performed at home?

-Tom K

Quote Originally Posted by tkrae11 View Post
    Thanks Dave, that's interesting and makes sense. Does the 170 tweeter need rotating if the speaker is rotated? Can this be performed at home?

-Tom K
    The tweeters we using in the 170 and 340 have symmetrical dispersion, the tweeters do not need to be rotated.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com