Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sensitivity mismatch between fronts and surrounds

Default Re: Sensitivity mismatch between fronts and surrounds

Quote Originally Posted by bcg27 View Post
    I'm looking at rounding out my Towers/Horizon fronts with surrounds for a 5.1 system and am considering a pair of HTM200s or Lunas. Ignoring the cost difference, which is admittedly very large, is there an issue with the 5.5 dB sensitivity difference between the Lunas and the Towers? The HTM200s match the sensitivity much more closely. It also seems like the SE tweeter will have an advantage in vertical dispersion over the Raals, but I'm very enticed by the all Raal surround system . This would be for home theater only, for music my source material is all stereo.
    Your receiver will compensate for sensitivity differences between all the speakers. You room acoustics and distances will also affect overall output for each speaker at your listening position.

For most rooms, the surrounds are located quite a bit closer to the listener. For example, if your surrounds are 5 feet away from the listening position and the fronts are 9 feet away, these differences alone account for the 5.5dB difference in sensitivity.

However, there could be a concern if your surrounds are located at a further distance from the MLP than your fronts and your receiver does not have enough power.

Obvious question:

1. What is the distance from the listening position to the front L/R speakers?
    2. What will be the distance from the listening position to the L/R surrounds?
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Cool Re: Sensitivity mismatch between fronts and surrounds

Quote Originally Posted by davef View Post
    Your receiver will compensate for sensitivity differences between all the speakers. You room acoustics and distances will also affect overall output for each speaker at your listening position.

For most rooms, the surrounds are located quite a bit closer to the listener. For example, if your surrounds are 5 feet away from the listening position and the fronts are 9 feet away, these differences alone account for the 5.5dB difference in sensitivity.

However, there could be a concern if your surrounds are located at a further distance from the MLP than your fronts and your receiver does not have enough power.

Obvious question:

1. What is the distance from the listening position to the front L/R speakers?
    2. What will be the distance from the listening position to the L/R surrounds?
    This is what separates professionals from the rest. Precise and Thorough.

Thanks for the replies everyone, I hadn't considered the effect of the closer distance. The L/R mains are positioned about 13 feet away from the MLP and the center about 12 feet. The right surround will be about 6 feet away and the left about 9 feet horizontally. Unfortunately due to some room restrictions they will also be mounted about 4 feet above the ear so will have to be tilted down somewhat and making the straight line distance about 7 and 10 feet.

Quote Originally Posted by bcg27 View Post
    Thanks for the replies everyone, I hadn't considered the effect of the closer distance. The L/R mains are positioned about 13 feet away from the MLP and the center about 12 feet. The right surround will be about 6 feet away and the left about 9 feet horizontally. Unfortunately due to some room restrictions they will also be mounted about 4 feet above the ear so will have to be tilted down somewhat and making the straight line distance about 7 and 10 feet.
    At these distances, you should be fine with Luna's as surrounds, but much also depends on the volume levels you would like to achieve combined with how much power your amp / receiver can provide. Please feel free to send me an email directly.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com