Thread: My speakers just woke up

Default My speakers just woke up

I have owned my Sierra 1s for about 4 or 5 years and I love them.
    I was feeding them through Marantz monoblocks connected to a Yamaha Aventage receiver. They sounded amazing.
    Today, the receiver and amps were replaced by an Anthem MCA 30 amplifire and an Anthem MRX Receiver. Holy crap! They love the Anthem gear. The midrange and bass were greatly improved; especially the detail in the bass. The speakers became more revealing. I'm hearing stuff I never heard before in music that I've listened to for years and years. Snares are greatly improved, as are guitars; I don't know why, but both Nick Drake's and Mick Ronson's guitars are so much more detailed and granular. Bass guitar is more musical. Vocals are more sonically accurate. Drums have a more studio sound.
    I can't wait to get through all of my favorites.
    If you power your Ascends with Anthem, I would like to hear your opinion. If not, this thread may give you a reason to audition.

Default Re: My speakers just woke up

Quote Originally Posted by hman View Post
    I have owned my Sierra 1s for about 4 or 5 years and I love them.
    I was feeding them through Marantz monoblocks connected to a Yamaha Aventage receiver. They sounded amazing.
    Today, the receiver and amps were replaced by an Anthem MCA 30 amplifire and an Anthem MRX Receiver. Holy crap! They love the Anthem gear. The midrange and bass were greatly improved; especially the detail in the bass. The speakers became more revealing. I'm hearing stuff I never heard before in music that I've listened to for years and years. Snares are greatly improved, as are guitars; I don't know why, but both Nick Drake's and Mick Ronson's guitars are so much more detailed and granular. Bass guitar is more musical. Vocals are more sonically accurate. Drums have a more studio sound.
    I can't wait to get through all of my favorites.
    If you power your Ascends with Anthem, I would like to hear your opinion. If not, this thread may give you a reason to audition.
    Happy to hear this! We do have many customers using Anthem gear and I recommend them often.

Enjoy!!
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

I have Sierra Tower's & Horizon Raal's powered with only an Anthem MRX520. I tried a 310 a while ago and out performed a few muiti channel amps I had before. With clean ac power i find it really good in the analog and digital domain. Your sierra's must really sing with the MCA. Best of luck!
    Ascend Sierra ELX Towers RAAL | Ascend Sierra ELX Horizon RAAL | Ascend HTM-200SE | Rythmik F15HP | Anthem D2v 3D | Parasound Halo A51 | Schiit Yggdrasil OG | OPPO 105D

Quote Originally Posted by davef View Post
    Happy to hear this! We do have many customers using Anthem gear and I recommend them often.

Enjoy!!
    Does the MRX run warm. Mulling over separates AVM 60 w/ ATI or D-Sonic class d amplification versus the MRX series. Purchased a Pioneer Elite UDP to start the process of updating after the oppo died unexpectedly.

Will pair with towers and the luna center.
    Anthem Seps
    Definitive Technology Sub
    JBL L5 4 Way Tower
    Pioneer LX 500 UDP
    APC Surge Power Conditioner
    Sony 950G

it is a class ab amp high resolution neutral sound, it does run slightly warm to the touch after hours of play but never has been a concern as I dont drive it very hard my room is fairly small and the towers are very efficient. I dont believe my fan has ever turned on.

I would say the avm and ati/class d would be an a step up over the mrx since that combo should have a superior noise floor and a lot more power to drive anything you throw at it. The mrx isnt too shabby it is a very solid build. The mrx line will fall short on the power with more than 2 channels. If you have a large listening room and require tons of power for multichannel that might be the way to go. I dont think you would be disappointed. Unsure how it would sound but I would love to try one of those amps myself.
    Last edited by eyecatcher; 05-17-2019 at 11:21 AM.
    Ascend Sierra ELX Towers RAAL | Ascend Sierra ELX Horizon RAAL | Ascend HTM-200SE | Rythmik F15HP | Anthem D2v 3D | Parasound Halo A51 | Schiit Yggdrasil OG | OPPO 105D

Thank you for taking the time to respond. Have a nice weekend.
    Anthem Seps
    Definitive Technology Sub
    JBL L5 4 Way Tower
    Pioneer LX 500 UDP
    APC Surge Power Conditioner
    Sony 950G