Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pro and con questions

Default Re: Pro and con questions

I suggest waiting to buy a subwoofer, until you have bought the house. If you are currently looking at houses, then you have no idea what you will end up with in terms of the size of the room. The size of the room is very important. You could overdo things and just get a massive ported model, with tons of output, right now, but then very soon you would have to move that big heavy thing. What if you end up with a small sealed room and then there isn't enough space to place it optimally?

If you are looking at a newer home, most likely if you are placing the equipment in the living room, it would be a massive open concept room, which calls for huge output subwoofers, if you want tactile feet when watching movies. If you have a dedicated sealed room that is smaller, then you might be able to get by with smaller sealed or ported 12" subs.

Quote Originally Posted by N Boros View Post
    I suggest waiting to buy a subwoofer, until you have bought the house. If you are currently looking at houses, then you have no idea what you will end up with in terms of the size of the room. The size of the room is very important. You could overdo things and just get a massive ported model, with tons of output, right now, but then very soon you would have to move that big heavy thing. What if you end up with a small sealed room and then there isn't enough space to place it optimally?

If you are looking at a newer home, most likely if you are placing the equipment in the living room, it would be a massive open concept room, which calls for huge output subwoofers, if you want tactile feet when watching movies. If you have a dedicated sealed room that is smaller, then you might be able to get by with smaller sealed or ported 12" subs.
    Very good points! And the sound is most important of course, but moving it is a good consideration too. I have been going through stuff for the purposes of getting rid of things we don't need and helping the moving process. That, and I wouldn't want to take the extra risk of the sub getting dropped or bumped moving.

I hate moving...this will be our last time.

One idea that popped into my head that might be the dumbest question I could ask, would there ever be a positive effect to have dual subs, one sealed and one ported? Or is that just asking for sonic chaos?

Short answer: No - it wouldn't be any more positive beyond having a dual sub setup, and less volume than 2 ported subs.

The objective of dual subs is to even out the bass response throughout the room so more people can enjoy even bass response throughout the bass frequencies. Ports serve to emphasize specific bass frequencies that they're tuned for - so I assume that having one sealed model is to reduce the amount of bass specific to the frequency tuned in your ported model. Having 2 ported subs just gives you more bass in the ported frequency. If you are running automatic EQ (like Audyssey Bass EQ), you can calibrate it to reduce bass spikes anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Quizzlet View Post
    Short answer: No - it wouldn't be any more positive beyond having a dual sub setup, and less volume than 2 ported subs.

The objective of dual subs is to even out the bass response throughout the room so more people can enjoy even bass response throughout the bass frequencies. Ports serve to emphasize specific bass frequencies that they're tuned for - so I assume that having one sealed model is to reduce the amount of bass specific to the frequency tuned in your ported model. Having 2 ported subs just gives you more bass in the ported frequency. If you are running automatic EQ (like Audyssey Bass EQ), you can calibrate it to reduce bass spikes anyway.
    Thanks! That makes sense