Thread: Hello

Default Hello

Hi All,

I’m new here and have limited experience with quality speakers, so excuse all the likely dumb questions I’ll be asking.

I’m placing my first order soon. I got into the whole smart home trend about a year ago and started adding Sonos speakers as a result. I have stereo pairs in all our first floor rooms. But when I listen to our home theater (Panasonic) I got 10 years ago, the sound is so much better. Not knocking the Sonos sound, for some rooms, it’s fine. But I wanted to find a quality sound for a few rooms and in time add a better home theater set up. After hours and hours of research, I found this company. So many rave reviews is what sold me.

I live in Amherst, NY (Buffalo suburb), just in case there are any locals here.

I look forward to learning a lot from all of you.

Doug

Edit: I just ordered the 170s. I was going to order the Sierras, but I have a few other pieces of equipment to buy and bills, so I’m staring with these. More orders to come in the near future!
    Last edited by wnydel; 03-10-2019 at 06:37 AM.

Default Re: Hello

Hi Doug, welcome to the Ascend family!

The 170's are a great way to wet your feet with Ascend. They were my 1st Ascend speakers as well, back before the SE's and even the 340's existed. I bought Sierra-1's when they first hit the market, and have upgraded twice since then....first to the NrT version, and currently they are Sierra-2's, both times using the available upgrade kits.

What sub are you using or planning to use?
    Ed

* Sierra-2EX's W/V2 crossover upgrade
    * (2) Rythmik F12's
    * Parasound Halo P6
    * Audio by Van Alstine DVA-M225 Monoblock Amps
    * MiniDSP 2x4HD For Sub calibration
    *World's Best Cables Canare 4S11 speaker cables

Quote Originally Posted by Mag_Neato View Post
    Hi Doug, welcome to the Ascend family!

The 170's are a great way to wet your feet with Ascend. They were my 1st Ascend speakers as well, back before the SE's and even the 340's existed. I bought Sierra-1's when they first hit the market, and have upgraded twice since then....first to the NrT version, and currently they are Sierra-2's, both times using the available upgrade kits.

What sub are you using or planning to use?
    Thank you! Great to be here.

Funny you should mention a sub, I was going to ask for opinions on this. At the moment, I have a wish list and budget. So I can’t go high-end. The sub is unfortunately going to have to wait a month or two, but maybe I have a temp solution. I do have a sub with my panosonic home theater. Is there a way (maybe a switch?) that the sub could be connected to both the home theater and my music speakers (the 170s) and I can just change the source, depending on what I’m using? I also made a post about an amp, so you can see a bit more of the set up I’m planning. Any budget sub recommendations would be great too. I’ll say this a lot on here, but I’m very new to this, so excuse any dumb questions I may ask!

Not sure of how all your equipment is set up, but maybe something like one of these to switch?
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00LNOAGZQ...v_ov_lig_dp_it

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00KDQXITG...v_ov_lig_dp_it

As to budget sub, what's your budget? Have you looked at the Rythmik (eg L12 or LV12) here on the Ascend site?

Quote Originally Posted by racrawford65 View Post
    Not sure of how all your equipment is set up, but maybe something like one of these to switch?
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00LNOAGZQ...v_ov_lig_dp_it

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00KDQXITG...v_ov_lig_dp_it

As to budget sub, what's your budget? Have you looked at the Rythmik (eg L12 or LV12) here on the Ascend site?
    Thank you. Those links look great.

The Rythmik's are both in my budget. That helps a lot.

No worries...have fun with your upgrades!