Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Parasound pairing?

Default Re: Parasound pairing?

Quote Originally Posted by DaveHo View Post
    This is complete & utter bullshit.

Feel free to give evidence supporting your claim. By evidence, I mean double-blind, level-matched listening comparisons, not anecdotes of "I can hear a difference."

Or feel free to show measurement differences that show *audible* differences.

Otherwise, well...

Default Re: Parasound pairing?

Lots of people report improvements - or just differences - when swapping out amps.

So what's wrong with that?

1. Sighted testing allows for all sorts of psychological biases to come into play.
    2. Levels aren't matched. Two of the very same amp played at slightly different levels will sound different.
    3. Human auditory memory is very fleeting and unreliable. Just taking three minutes to remove amp A and connect amp B is too long to make a reliable comparison.

I remember hearing a big improvement when I first got my Parasound Halo amp. Tighter, deeper bass. Better clarity in the mids. Far more dynamic.

After a few weeks of living with it, I set up a level-matched, quick switch comparison with it and my other amps (NAD integrated, Denon AVR, Cambridge Audio integrated, Onkyo receiver).

I couldn't tell one from the other. What happened to all those improvements I thought I'd heard?

On the other hand, I've done a blinded comparison at a dealer between two pricey amps powering large tower speakers that have a tough impedance curve, and this was in a big room with really loud playback levels. The difference in the two amps was substantial. Why? A power meter showed the good-sounding amp was putting out 200-400 watts on peaks. It was rated to put out up to 600watt/channel into low impedance loads. The other amp was way out of its range (it was rated at something around 100watts/channel into 8 ohms and 150 watts into 4 ohms).