I’ve owned three CBM-170s as L,R, and C in my home theater since either 2002 or 2003 and have loved them to death, literally. I’ve upgraded the TV (multiple times), receiver (multiple times), and even bought a house with a bigger and better home theater space since then but the one constant has always been those wonderful speakers. So now I’m looking to retire the CBM-170s to the bedroom and bring in a new set of fronts, and am considering either the CMT-340s or the Sierra 1s.

The thing that appeals to me about the 340s is that their construction is quite similar to that of my beloved 170s, with essentially the same woofer and tweeter design and MDF cabinet material. When I originally bought my 170s it was prior to the SE upgrade and the CMT-340s weren’t even offered yet. I expect I’ll like the 340s even better than the 170s, although it’s hard to imagine liking anything better at this point. However, since the new home theater space is larger I think the second woofer and larger cabinet dimensions of the 340s will be a definite plus.

The thing that appeals to me about the Sierra 1s are that they are quite possibly even better than the 340s. But the thing that concerns me about them is that due to their different drivers and cabinet material they will sound significantly “different” than the 170s that I’ve lived with for more than 15 years and loved. I know different isn’t necessarily bad, but when you’ve listened to a set of excellent speakers for such a long time they tend to become your reference.

So I’m hoping there are some members who have owned and listened to both the 340s and the Sierra 1s and can give me some input on their characteristics and differences. Looking forward to another 15+ years out of whichever ones I settle on.