Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: CMT-340s or Sierra 1s?

Default Re: CMT-340s or Sierra 1s?

I upgraded from the 340s to the Sierra-2s, so it’s not an exact comparison. I will say tho that the bass is what stuck out immediately, a definite improvement.
    Sierra 2 Front LR PA-1 DC-1
    Sierra Luna Surround LR Multichannel via UMC-1 Stereo amp via VSX-D912 AVR
    DC-1 Ext 2 Ch DAC LR XLR to Mono Amps LR RCA to UMC-1 Opt
    T2531 31 Band Stereo Graphic EQ XLR RCA
    PA-1 LR XLR Mono Block 140Watt @ 8 Ohms Class D Amps
    UMC-1 Line Stage Sub X-over @ 40Hz
    L12 12" Subwoofer RCA
    P3 Power Plant A/C Regenerator - Can dramatically improve sound quality realism after 350 hours or 2 weeks of cumulative burn in
    40" HDR 4K TV Opt
    Windows 11 Gaming HTPC HDMI
    D2R

Quote Originally Posted by choirbass View Post
    I upgraded from the 340s to the Sierra-2s, so it’s not an exact comparison. I will say tho that the bass is what stuck out immediately, a definite improvement.

I own the the 340's with a pair of SVS SB1000 subwoofer, so I don't need the extra bass, but I wonder if the Sierra 2 would be and improvement in any other regard to justify the investment?

Nothing that stuck out, but for sub free usage they’re awesome, they’re supposedly even better than the Sierra-1s. The RAAL tweeters are better even if I didn’t notice any difference.

The Sierra-1 and 2 are flat down to 40hz so setting the sub crossover that low may make a noticeable difference.
    Last edited by choirbass; 02-21-2021 at 12:52 AM.

If you are getting them new, I would take the sierra 2ex. The upper bass is incredible and makes it sound fuller with bigger scale .

Quote Originally Posted by notaniceboy View Post
    I own the the 340's with a pair of SVS SB1000 subwoofer, so I don't need the extra bass, but I wonder if the Sierra 2 would be and improvement in any other regard to justify the investment?
    I went from Sierra 1s, to 2s, to 2EX. The Raal tweeter for me was a HUGE upgrade. I love the extra airiness and detail especially on good recordings. Not a subtle improvement, imo.
    Nate

It must be something about my sound quality or something, because for the years that I’ve owned the Sierra-2, Ive never heard that. It’s why I’ve decided I’m going to go for the NrT Sierra Towers instead of RAAL, too much money for something I’m not going to hear.
    Last edited by choirbass; 02-26-2021 at 02:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by notaniceboy View Post
    I would skip the S2 and go to the S2EX. The 2EX is substantially better than the 2 and only about $200 more.

And yes, the difference between the S2EX and the 340 is monstrous. But they cost 3x more, so it'd better be.
    Luna Duo V2 LR, Titan Horizon V2, and Rythmik L22 & L12 in HT, Sierra-LXs in study, S-2EXs and Duo V2 C in bedroom, S-1 NrTs in dining room, S-1s at work, HTM-200s in kitchen. Brother owns CMT-340s and dad has a pair of CBM-170s.

Quote Originally Posted by natetg57 View Post
    I went from Sierra 1s, to 2s, to 2EX. The Raal tweeter for me was a HUGE upgrade. I love the extra airiness and detail especially on good recordings. Not a subtle improvement, imo.
    I did S1 to S1NrT to S2 to S2EX. I have since then bought another pair of S1s, which I upgraded with my NrT parts left over from the S2 upgrade, and and pair of S1 cabinets, which house my original S1 parts from my first S1s back in like 2009. So I have S1s, S1 NrTs, and S2EXs all in different places.

The S1 to S1NrT upgrade is a nice step for me but it's not for everyone and I can certainly see how, for some people, it might not be worth it. Love the extra sizzle relative to the base S1 but it makes the speaker brighter overall, which not everyone wants.

S1 NrT to S2 is a very big step. The RAAL tweeter is a game-changer; the S2 is just in another class relative to either version of the S1. The air and the high-end clarity is just not to be missed.

However, since the 2EX came out, and it's pretty close to the same price as the S2, I can't in good conscience recommend the S2 anymore. As much as I was impressed by the S2 woofer, the woofer in the 2EX is just stunning; the bass extension is ludicrous for a bookshelf speaker and the additional mid clarity alone is worth the ~$200. (If you're buying new.)

The fact that you can upgrade from S1s to S2EXs for only $538 is also amazing. What I'd recommend for people on a bit of a budget is to save up to buy S1s, and then you can upgrade to S2EXs later for really not all that much more.
    Luna Duo V2 LR, Titan Horizon V2, and Rythmik L22 & L12 in HT, Sierra-LXs in study, S-2EXs and Duo V2 C in bedroom, S-1 NrTs in dining room, S-1s at work, HTM-200s in kitchen. Brother owns CMT-340s and dad has a pair of CBM-170s.

I second going for the Sierra-1 to Sierra-2 EX upgrade.
    Last edited by choirbass; 03-19-2021 at 09:09 PM.