Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Surrounds and in-ceiling suggestions

Default Surrounds and in-ceiling suggestions

First time posting.

I recently auditioned the FV15HP at a friend's home theater...Wow!!! I have been shopping/researching for my new 7.2.4 HT and I think I found the first 2 pieces (dual FV15s).

My room is 9'5"H x 15'5"W x 24'3" L. 2 rows of seating (not yet decided on distances). I only care about the 1st row two middle seats.

Use will be 100% HT, but a fair amount lot of Music Concerts video content, not just movies.

1st Question: Should I go for the Raal versions of the Tower and Horizon? Or is the benefit negligible for a 100% HT use? I wont watch movies/concerts at a super loud level.

2nd Question: Assuming I get the Tower/Horizon Front Mains combo (no raals) to go with 2 FV15HPs. What would you recommend for the 4 Surrounds and 4 Atmos/Height speakers? Would like to stay under $2000 on these 8 speakers. My preference would be for Inwalls as I like the flush look of a HT.

I will be using either a MRX-1120 or a Denon 6500 as the receiver with no separate Amps.

Appreciate the responses/suggestions in advance!

Default Re: Surrounds and in-ceiling suggestions

I'd suggest the HTM200's for your surrounds and Atmos/Height speakers. I'm using them with the Sierra 2's for LRC.

Unfortunately I know the wife.....having the surrounds sticking out 6.5"s from the wall will already be a tough sell, having them stick out 6.5" from the ceiling will be a deal breaker.......This is why I am considering inwalls for the surrounds and inceling for the atmos/height speakers.

My bad - missed that you were looking at inwalls. You may want to check AVS threads to see what people are using for in-ceilings.

Quote Originally Posted by racrawford65 View Post
    My bad - missed that you were looking at inwalls. You may want to check AVS threads to see what people are using for in-ceilings.
    I did. They are all over the place. I was hoping some current Sierra/Horizon users here would chime in if they had non-Ascend Acoustics surrounds/ceilings...There has to be someone using these as front mains and inwalls/in-ceilings as surrounds/height speaker....

As a newbie, I just need some guidance on what to look for when trying to match different surround speakers to the Sierra Towers/Horizon combo.

OK.
    Not sure what your room is like, but there is a thread or two where someone flush mounted HTM200s in their ceiling.
    Otherwise, would the luna's work for you? I can't find the dimensions but believe they are smaller than the HTMs. again, not in wall/ceiling.
    Or try some others where there is a 30 day trial - monoprice has some ribbon tweeter in wall/ceiling speakers that you could always try out. Not sure about GoldenEar trial period.

My opinion is you don't need to go with expensive speakers for the ATMOS channels.

Sorry I can't be of more help.
    Last edited by racrawford65; 01-24-2019 at 04:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mango View Post
    First time posting.

I recently auditioned the FV15HP at a friend's home theater...Wow!!! I have been shopping/researching for my new 7.2.4 HT and I think I found the first 2 pieces (dual FV15s).

My room is 9'5"H x 15'5"W x 24'3" L. 2 rows of seating (not yet decided on distances). I only care about the 1st row two middle seats.

Use will be 100% HT, but a fair amount lot of Music Concerts video content, not just movies.

1st Question: Should I go for the Raal versions of the Tower and Horizon? Or is the benefit negligible for a 100% HT use? I wont watch movies/concerts at a super loud level.

2nd Question: Assuming I get the Tower/Horizon Front Mains combo (no raals) to go with 2 FV15HPs. What would you recommend for the 4 Surrounds and 4 Atmos/Height speakers? Would like to stay under $2000 on these 8 speakers. My preference would be for Inwalls as I like the flush look of a HT.

I will be using either a MRX-1120 or a Denon 6500 as the receiver with no separate Amps.

Appreciate the responses/suggestions in advance!
    I always recommend upgrading to the RAAL ribbons, even for home theater. So many of our customers who are "mostly home theater" - end up listening to a lot more music than they ever expected to

For in-ceiling / in-walls, I have been recommending the Sonance VP60 series (square or round). They perform very well with our products.

Hope this helps!
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

I’m glad this topic just came up and the Sonance speakers are a good match with the Ascends! My buddy is an installer and I sm picking up a pair of VP62R’s for his dealer cost. He also recommended the Dynamat Dynaboxes which I can also get at cost. Finally gonna have a 5.1, although my 3.1 is pretty darn impressive sounding as is. Lol

I have four Atlantic Technologies IC-6 OBA in-ceiling speakers for Atmos in my setup with L-R Sierra 2s with RAAL and Horizon center with RAAL (and some 20 year old Paradigm Mini Monitor rear surrounds). These Atlantic Technologies in-ceilings have near-flush, paintable, magnetic mount grills, are solidly built, and sound very good in my system. They are relatively affordable at $325 each.

Worth considering, anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by BrianNLS View Post
    I have four Atlantic Technologies IC-6 OBA in-ceiling speakers for Atmos in my setup with L-R Sierra 2s with RAAL and Horizon center with RAAL (and some 20 year old Paradigm Mini Monitor rear surrounds). These Atlantic Technologies in-ceilings have near-flush, paintable, magnetic mount grills, are solidly built, and sound very good in my system. They are relatively affordable at $325 each.

Worth considering, anyway.
    Thank you Brian. I will definitely look into those.