Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: A frustrating audible hum in my setup, please help!

Default Re: A frustrating audible hum in my setup, please help!

Also, is there any interference on a landline phone? Either wired or cordless.

Quote Originally Posted by rjkruk View Post
    Did this just start recently and have you added any new electric / electronics lately?
    Your or neighbors put in any electric fence? Power and signal cables for audio separated?
    I would check with your electric company and ask if they have made any changes.
    I did switch out a power supply recently for my pc but the buzz existed before and after. No electric fences I’m aware of plus out lots here are 1.5 acres, so no close neighbors. I’ve not separated my cables because of the way my AV stand is. Just way too many wires all over the place.

One discovery which I hope is relevant. So my Parasound P7 has HT bypass which I of course use in my setup. When it’s in bypass, meaning I’m using the Yamaha CX-A5000 for volume, sources, etc, the buzz is audible like I’ve described. As soon as I switch the Parasound P7 to any source coming into it other than HT bypass, the buzz disappears completely. So for example, if I switch the P7 to my music input coming from my Schiit DAC, the buzz is gone!

Does this help narrow things down?

WELL. NOW you tell us. If I understand you correctly, and the input to the Yamaha is not changed (same cable from the P7 to the same input on the Yamaha), then the P7 is bad, or there's a grounding issue "through" it. To be sure, can you sketch up a little diagram of the sources, the P7, the Yamaha and the interconnections?

Are the Parasound and Yamaha on the same circuit?

Also, is there any interference on a landline phone? Either wired or cordless.
    No landline phones in the house

Are the Parasound and Yamaha on the same circuit?

Yes

Quote Originally Posted by jimb View Post
    WELL. NOW you tell us. If I understand you correctly, and the input to the Yamaha is not changed (same cable from the P7 to the same input on the Yamaha), then the P7 is bad, or there's a grounding issue "through" it. To be sure, can you sketch up a little diagram of the sources, the P7, the Yamaha and the interconnections?
    Sorry
    Yes, the buzzing only disappears when a source on the p7 is selected. When it’s in HT bypass meaning my Yamaha is acting as source and going through the P7 is when the buzzing happens. I didn’t mess with any cables.

Hoping the p7 is ok! The buzz only comes through on One speaker. I’ll do my best to create a diagram

Quote Originally Posted by merrymaid520 View Post
    Sorry
    Yes, the buzzing only disappears when a source on the p7 is selected. When it’s in HT bypass meaning my Yamaha is acting as source and going through the P7 is when the buzzing happens. I didn’t mess with any cables.

Hoping the p7 is ok! The buzz only comes through on One speaker. I’ll do my best to create a diagram
    I think you just need to give up and send me your equipment.

For the side that is humming, swap the input cables into the P7 to see if the hum follows the cable.

Also if the P7 is set to HT Bypass, and the Yamaha is off, is the hum still present?
    -curtis

Quote Originally Posted by curtis View Post
    I think you just need to give up and send me your equipment.

For the side that is humming, swap the input cables into the P7 to see if the hum follows the cable.

Also if the P7 is set to HT Bypass, and the Yamaha is off, is the hum still present?
    You dont want a buzzing preamp do you

I will try this when I return home and report back.