Thread: Going from AVR to Amps

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Re: Going from AVR to Amps

I have the same question. Specifically, I'm looking at Outlaw 2200s for my Lunas. I'll add one more query. I just discovered that my Marantz NR1608 does not have a full set of pre-outs. I have a 3.1 and am thinking of just amping the L and R, and leaving the receiver to take care of the center. Is that reasonable?

Have you considered Emotiva? They make impressive Amps and their XPA line is designed with a modular approach, so as your audio setup requirements change you can reconfigure your amp to suit.

Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Jed-99aggie View Post
    Have you considered Emotiva? They make impressive Amps and their XPA line is designed with a modular approach, so as your audio setup requirements change you can reconfigure your amp to suit.

Good luck.
    I currently use older Emotivas - UPA2 and UPA7. They are pretty good amps.

As to the XPA, I think you may have to ship the amp back to Emotiva for the modular XPAs to add modules (and may have to pay). The new XPA (Gen 3) have switching power supplies...from the Emotiva forum, it seems mixed opinions on these versus the older XPA with torroidal transformers.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveM View Post
    I have the same question. Specifically, I'm looking at Outlaw 2200s for my Lunas. I'll add one more query. I just discovered that my Marantz NR1608 does not have a full set of pre-outs. I have a 3.1 and am thinking of just amping the L and R, and leaving the receiver to take care of the center. Is that reasonable?
    IMO, no problem just amping the L&R, and letting the receiver handle the center.