Thread: Going from AVR to Amps

Default Going from AVR to Amps

Hello guys, I could use some help. I have 3 Sierra 2's LCR, 2 HTM 200 for rears, and 1 SVS PB-2000 sub. I upgraded from a Yamaha RX-V671 receiver to a Yamaha RX-A2080 recently. Sound was a drastic change for me. The sound was much more alive, more clearer voices at low level listening, and less fatigue at longer listening times. I ran YPAO and noticed an improvement.

Since going to the higher power receiver improved the sound drastically, I am wondering if going to a separate amplifier will improve my overall sound. Specifically, I have been thinking about upgrading to Parasound A23 or the Outlaw 5000 amp. I am fully open to other suggestions and willing to spend more if I need to.

1) Has anyone made the switch from AVR to an Amp for 2.1 music listening and noticed a significant difference?

2) Specifically which Class A/B amps work well with Sierra 2's?

3) I understand the max continuous WPC is 150 but does that mean I shouldn't ever buy an amp that has higher WPC even though I set a max volume of +5db on my receiver?

Default Re: Going from AVR to Amps

I have the same question. Specifically, I'm looking at Outlaw 2200s for my Lunas. I'll add one more query. I just discovered that my Marantz NR1608 does not have a full set of pre-outs. I have a 3.1 and am thinking of just amping the L and R, and leaving the receiver to take care of the center. Is that reasonable?

Have you considered Emotiva? They make impressive Amps and their XPA line is designed with a modular approach, so as your audio setup requirements change you can reconfigure your amp to suit.

Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveM View Post
    I have the same question. Specifically, I'm looking at Outlaw 2200s for my Lunas. I'll add one more query. I just discovered that my Marantz NR1608 does not have a full set of pre-outs. I have a 3.1 and am thinking of just amping the L and R, and leaving the receiver to take care of the center. Is that reasonable?
    IMO, no problem just amping the L&R, and letting the receiver handle the center.

Quote Originally Posted by Jed-99aggie View Post
    Have you considered Emotiva? They make impressive Amps and their XPA line is designed with a modular approach, so as your audio setup requirements change you can reconfigure your amp to suit.

Good luck.
    I currently use older Emotivas - UPA2 and UPA7. They are pretty good amps.

As to the XPA, I think you may have to ship the amp back to Emotiva for the modular XPAs to add modules (and may have to pay). The new XPA (Gen 3) have switching power supplies...from the Emotiva forum, it seems mixed opinions on these versus the older XPA with torroidal transformers.

Quote Originally Posted by photony83 View Post
    Hello guys, I could use some help. I have 3 Sierra 2's LCR, 2 HTM 200 for rears, and 1 SVS PB-2000 sub. I upgraded from a Yamaha RX-V671 receiver to a Yamaha RX-A2080 recently. Sound was a drastic change for me. The sound was much more alive, more clearer voices at low level listening, and less fatigue at longer listening times. I ran YPAO and noticed an improvement.

Since going to the higher power receiver improved the sound drastically, I am wondering if going to a separate amplifier will improve my overall sound. Specifically, I have been thinking about upgrading to Parasound A23 or the Outlaw 5000 amp. I am fully open to other suggestions and willing to spend more if I need to.

1) Has anyone made the switch from AVR to an Amp for 2.1 music listening and noticed a significant difference?

2) Specifically which Class A/B amps work well with Sierra 2's?

3) I understand the max continuous WPC is 150 but does that mean I shouldn't ever buy an amp that has higher WPC even though I set a max volume of +5db on my receiver?
    I use similar speaker set up as you, although sub is a Rythmik E15 and HTM200 for ATMOS heights as well.

If the amps (AVR versus separate), it probably won't make a big difference for music. I looked at the Parasound A23... it may be a little "warmer" than the amps in your AVR.

Amps should be neutral, so any good quality amp should work well.

As per other post, I currently use an older UPA2 from Emotiva for L&R. I am looking to possible change it out and am considering either a solid state (either ATI or Monoprice Monolith - made by ATI) or used Rogue tube (either the Atlas Magnum II or Stereo 90).

Outlaw are also made by ATI, as I understand, except for the 5000 which is made in China. From the looks of it, I wonder if it is from the same company in China that made the old Emotiva UPAs.

No problems buying an amp higher WPC...

It's unlikely the primary source of change in sound is the change in wattage, unless you are driving your speakers near the limit of the amp. It is much more likely with AVRs that the difference is in the processing and room correction. I personally don't care for the YPAO room correction in the lower-end Yamaha AVRs (I think Audyssey is much better) but people tell me the newer YPAO in the higher-end Yamahas is a big improvement, so my guess is that's what you're hearing.
    Luna Duo V2 LR, Titan Horizon V2, and Rythmik L22 & L12 in HT, Sierra-LXs in study, S-2EXs and Duo V2 C in bedroom, S-1 NrTs in dining room, S-1s at work, HTM-200s in kitchen. Brother owns CMT-340s and dad has a pair of CBM-170s.

thanks for the replies.

I figured I can only convince myself by hearing it for myself.

I ended up buying the Parasound A23. I have to say I didn't really notice any significant difference at all. Maybe there was a bit more separation in the sound. I did A/B testing with my wife who is not as picky as I am and she couldn't hear any differences at all. I did experience a ground loop issue with the amp which I couldn't get rid off with all the tricks I saw online. I am returning the Parasound for now for both of these reasons.

What I think could be the most significant change I can make Is likely room corrections. I may revisit the amp issue in the future. The itch to "upgrade" has subsided for now but I know it will be back.

As far as the Yamaha YPAO on the 2080, this is a significant upgrade from my old Yamaha system. I tried Marantz but I really felt there was some increased clarity with the Yamaha, especially in the higher and mid frequencies. overall the sound felt too laid back. It was a model 6012 or something like that I tried two years ago. I really like the Yamaha sound.