Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Sierra-2s - Almost 4 Years Later

Default Re: Sierra-2s - Almost 4 Years Later

Voice recognition - and recognizing changes to a person's voice - isn't the same as hifi sound reproduction and recognition of changes there. Evolution has tuned our hearing mechanism to be more observant of familiar voices. Hifi is exceptionally recent on the evolutionary scale.

No matter how well you think your ear-brain mechanism is 'trained,' it's still susceptible to all sorts of biases, both conscious and unconscious. Some of the most confident, experienced listeners are the most fallible.

There's always the possibility that your Adcom was seriously out of spec before, and that there really is now an improvement because it's functioning as it should have all along. That was the case for an old receiver I had - and it stuck out like a sore thumb in my level-matched comparisons.
    Last edited by Beave; 03-07-2019 at 04:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Beave View Post
    The 3490 is still relatively new, and, if I remember right, fairly powerful. There's no need to send it in for mods.

Old amps can have the power supply caps dry out, which can affect performance (*if* they have dried out). An amp that's just a few years old is very unlikely to have that problem.

Some of these 'modification' people rely on faulty long-term audio memory and expectation bias in their customers.

If it ain't broke, there's nothing to fix.

(I sold an amp a few years ago to a guy who immediately sent it off for mods. It was a great amp working fine - and from what I saw of the mods, they were a joke.)
    Advice taken. Yeah I actually called the guy months ago and he not only told me about the mod’s, he went on to try to sell me some speakers. Well the guy needs to make a living but I ended the call. I will take your advise and leave my 3490 well enough alone.

I bought the HK used and it still looks and functions as a new. I remember Dave sold these in the early days. When I saw it I bought it. I trust it’ll Kahr well with my up coming 2’s
    Last edited by rifmon; 03-07-2019 at 04:56 PM.

I’m not going to send this thread off course with a “he said/she said” debate, just reaffirming that the Sierra-2’s are still incredible and are in no danger of being replaced, regardless of the amp.

Quote Originally Posted by Mag_Neato View Post
    I understand the need for some to want to see data measurements on a screen so they can justify what is heard, or reported to be heard, but I tend to go by what my ears are telling me. If I just paid for something that is only sounding good psychologically, then it was still worth it!
    It IS all just entertainment. So I'm glad you're enjoying your purchase. I agree with Beave that if a different amplifier sounds distinctly different than something about that should be measurable. But it's not worth arguing about for sure. I know I've been surprised by my own attempts at blind listening tests. I was SURE that a digital version of a radiohead album sounded better until I realized that it was 16/44 like the CD.
    Nate

Quote Originally Posted by natetg57 View Post
    It IS all just entertainment. So I'm glad you're enjoying your purchase. I agree with Beave that if a different amplifier sounds distinctly different than something about that should be measurable. But it's not worth arguing about for sure. I know I've been surprised by my own attempts at blind listening tests. I was SURE that a digital version of a radiohead album sounded better until I realized that it was 16/44 like the CD.
    It is about enjoying the performance!

Were the digital & CD versions from the same recording session? Variations of the setup in recording, such as mic model, mic positioning, mix balance, etc. will produce different results. A CD quality mix can sound better than a Higher res version if recorded properly.
    Ed

* Sierra-2EX's W/V2 crossover upgrade
    * (2) Rythmik F12's
    * Parasound Halo P6
    * Audio by Van Alstine DVA-M225 Monoblock Amps
    * MiniDSP 2x4HD For Sub calibration
    *World's Best Cables Canare 4S11 speaker cables

It is about enjoying the performance!

Were the digital & CD versions from the same recording session? Variations of the setup in recording, such as mic model, mic positioning, mix balance, etc. will produce different results. A CD quality mix can sound better than a Higher res version if recorded properly.
    No, I'm pretty sure it was the exact same recording and recording quality. My point was that when I wanted to hear a difference, it seemed like there was a clear one. It makes me a lot less trusting of my impressions.
    My wife helped me to do blind testing of sound treatments placed behind my front speakers. To my surprise, when I couldn't see what was going on, I consistently liked the sound better without the panels behind the speakers. Without the blind testing, I was sure I like it better with the panels there. I ended up using them at the back of the room.
    Nate

Quote Originally Posted by natetg57 View Post
    No, I'm pretty sure it was the exact same recording and recording quality. My point was that when I wanted to hear a difference, it seemed like there was a clear one. It makes me a lot less trusting of my impressions.
    My wife helped me to do blind testing of sound treatments placed behind my front speakers. To my surprise, when I couldn't see what was going on, I consistently liked the sound better without the panels behind the speakers. Without the blind testing, I was sure I like it better with the panels there. I ended up using them at the back of the room.
    Fair enough. I would never try to convince you that your brain was being "tricked" by what you hear. I was not there and have no basis to refute your findings. You heard what you heard. When I listen I often close my eyes so the sound creates the "Soundscape" without my eyes seeing the equipment & room. I can better visualize the performance. The better the sound reproduction, the better the experience.
    Ed

* (2) Rythmik F12's
    * Parasound Halo P6

Fair enough. I would never try to convince you that your brain was being "tricked" by what you hear. I was not there and have no basis to refute your findings. You heard what you heard. When I listen I often close my eyes so the sound creates the "Soundscape" without my eyes seeing the equipment & room. I can better visualize the performance. The better the sound reproduction, the better the experience.
    Mag, I am not sure what you are trying to say here.

Are you implying that "closing your eyes" takes away influence of knowing what equipment is being used?
    -curtis

Quote Originally Posted by curtis View Post
    Mag, I am not sure what you are trying to say here.

Are you implying that "closing your eyes" takes away influence of knowing what equipment is being used?
    I think it does, for me anyhow. It's easier to "see" the performers/instruments on a blank canvas vs overlaying the images on what you are looking at. Make sense?

With home theater the video gives you the visual supported by the soundtrack.
    Ed

* (2) Rythmik F12's
    * Parasound Halo P6

I think it does, for me anyhow. It's easier to "see" the performers/instruments on a blank canvas vs overlaying the images on what you are looking at. Make sense?

With home theater the video gives you the visual supported by the soundtrack.
    You still know what equipment is being used, regardless if your eyes are open or not, and that is still an influence on your perception. It is not equivalent of a blind test.
    -curtis