This probably does not warrant its own thread, but I really did not know where else to put it other than in a new thread.

I bought my pair of Sierra-2 speakers almost 4 years ago (and bought a used custom Sierra-1 with the 70-20xr ribbon tweeter shortly thereafter to use as a center speaker). I don't post much on these forums, or other forums, simply because what free time I do have I would rather spend listening to music rather than discussing equipment, music, etc., on the internet. I have enjoyed these speakers so much over the past 4 years that I don't even consider "upgrading" or replacing them with something else. I think many people "upgrade" their equipment so often just because they want to try something new, and I can totally understand that. These speakers are just perfect to me however, so I don't have any desire to replace them. I should point out that I also use 2 PSA 15 inch subs in my setup (with an anti-mode 8033 device to eq the subs), with the crossover set at 80 Hz, and this combination gives me everything I need from bottom to top.

I am posting here tonight only because I happened to briefly this evening put my old tower speakers back in the setup in place of the Sierra-2s, just to see how I thought they compared to Sierra-2s after not hearing them for a few years, and because I am going to go ahead and sell them as they are just taking up space in my storage area. Those tower speakers are the Rocket RS850s.

It became evident rather quickly that the Rockets are completely outclassed by the Sierra-2s.........so much so that I can't believe I ever thought the Rockets sounded good. That might seem a little over the top, as I guess they are OK sounding, but there is not one single thing they even come close to matching in the Sierra-2s. They look pretty and have an imposing size, and I guess that is the best I can say about them after pulling them out of storage after a few years. I guess they would also technically player deeper, but as I use subs this is irrelevant for me.

I have some older Onix reference .5 speakers that I have been using as my surrounds, and as I listen to quite a bit of discrete 5.1 surround music on SACD, DVD-A, and blu ray, the difference between them and the front Sierra speakers had been bothering me. I was tempted to buy another pair of Sierra-2s or Lunas for surrounds, but it seems like overkill for me. Most of my music listening is still stereo material. So, I decided to order the CBM-170s to be my new surround speakers. The frequency response of this speaker appears to be almost the same as that of the Sierra-2 (with not quite the same top end extension), so I think it will be a good match.

I guess this turned out to be a partial review type posting, but I just wanted to relay how amusing I found it when I briefly put back in my setup my old speakers that the Sierra-2s replaced. All it did was make me appreciate my Sierra-2s even more.