Thread: Speaker/Sub Suggestions

Default Speaker/Sub Suggestions

Hello all,

I'm new to this forum and basically new to home theatre. I also realize this type of question has been posted ad-nauseam, so please forgive me in advance if it seems like I didn't do my research. Rest assured, I've done a lot of research and looked at many speaker reviews until it seemed like it would be a never-ending quest (maybe that's the fun of it!). This post is long-winded, so bear with me.

What began as forming an eventual home theater around the modest, but well-reviewed Micca MB42X speakers transitioned to the Kef Q350s then leading to the SVS Ultras. With SVS in mind, I also thought I'd go with their subs to keep everything the same brand and their warranty/customer service/free shipping were also factors that contributed. I thought the Ultras were a sure-fire bet, until I saw the raving reviews from Ascend Acoustics. Thanks to the multiple posts in this forum, I feel like the Sierra 2s would be a perfect match and would be something I could find myself being happy with for a good portion of the 'long-haul'. Now, with the thought of Ascend Acoustics, I've found myself really interested in the Rythmik subs.

Below, you will find the setup I'm debating - feel free to throw out other suggestions. My budget right now is around $3k. It will definitely be a work in progress and my current plan is to begin with a 2.1 setup then transition to a 3.1 - eventually ending on no more than a 5.1. I'm not opposed to dual subs, but just not off the bat for financial reasons.

As far as the music:movie ratio, music would come out on top at 60:40. I like the idea of the subwoofer(s) being well integrated into the overall sound stage for music, but also like the idea of room-rattling lows for movies. So I'm unsure of whether a sealed or ported enclosure would be best.

Some details - the current 'workable' space measures approximately 12'x13' with 8' ceiling. There is an area off the entry way that is approximately 10'x13' including the 4' entry - while this is part of the living room area, I don't foresee it being part of the viewing area where the tv and seating will be. See the attached room diagram.

Television - Sony XBR75X900E 75-Inch 4K Ultra HD Smart LED TV (owned)
    L/R Channels - AA Sierra-2
    Center Channel - AA Sierra Horizon RAAL
    Rear Surround Channels - Sierra Luna
    Sub(s) - Rythmik LVX12 or F12SE or the new SVS SB-3000 - Would anything bigger like Rythmik E15HPSE or the SVS pb/sb-4000 be overkill for this room?
    AVR - Denon AVRX3400H (7.1) or AVR-S540BT (5.1) (Will this be enough to power all of this?)

Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks everyone!room.diagram.php.jpg

Default Re: Speaker/Sub Suggestions

Do you have any idea how loud you might want to listen when watching movies?

Quote Originally Posted by N Boros View Post
    Do you have any idea how loud you might want to listen when watching movies?
    Well, right now, we have a 6 month old baby - so, nothing too loudly at this point. They will definitely be put to work as she ages and can tolerate a bit more. As far as decibel levels go, I couldn't begin to guess. I suppose when it's just me at home, whether it's listening to music or watching movies, I like it quite loud and wouldn't mind it if the room/house rumbles.

A single Sierra-2 also makes for a great center channel. I'm a bass lover so my recommendation would be to step up to a 15" Rythmik.

Quote Originally Posted by jdr_slp View Post
    As far as the music:movie ratio, music would come out on top at 60:40. I like the idea of the subwoofer(s) being well integrated into the overall sound stage for music, but also like the idea of room-rattling lows for movies. So I'm unsure of whether a sealed or ported enclosure would be best.
    Any input would be greatly appreciated.
    I've got a room almost exactly that size (mine is 13.5' x 21' x 8'). I'm running Sierra 2s L/C/R, Sierra-1s for surrounds, and a pair of Rythmik LVX12s for subs. All driven by an old Denon X-4000. And it all works a treat, for both music (from CDs to blu-ray surround sound music) and movies.

If you want seamless integration of your sub(s) with your L/R pair, servo subs are the way to go IMHO. And if you want to seamlessly switch back and forth from music to HT, servo subs are also the way to go, IMHO. In particular, servos give you a realistic option of using ported subs for music. If you're going non-servo, you'd almost always want sealed subs for music, which will usually leave you wanting more bottom end reach for HT.

Anyway, my system works for me. Really well. Since you asked for input, I'd say to go with a Sierra-2 center for now and put that money toward the extra sub. Why? A single sub in a small room nearly always gives one fits over room modes. Easy enough to balance out a single seat of "main listening position" with one sub, but if you want two people or more to hear it, you're going to want a couple of subs to help tame the room modes and substantially broaden that sweet spot. Hey, you did ask. Also, I'd take a pair of smaller subs over a single bigger sub just about every time. Which is why I'm running a pair of ported 12"s and not a single ported 15".
    "If it sounds good, it is good." -- Duke Ellington

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Watson View Post
    I've got a room almost exactly that size (mine is 13.5' x 21' x 8'). I'm running Sierra 2s L/C/R, Sierra-1s for surrounds, and a pair of Rythmik LVX12s for subs. All driven by an old Denon X-4000. And it all works a treat, for both music (from CDs to blu-ray surround sound music) and movies.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesiskav View Post
    A single Sierra-2 also makes for a great center channel. I'm a bass lover so my recommendation would be to step up to a 15" Rythmik.
    I'd like to thank you all for the replies with your input and recommendations! I think when it comes time to start buying, I'm going to go with the Sierra-2s for L/C/R with a Rythmik LVX12. Over time, I'll add surrounds and another sub. Now, I just wish the LVX12s came in piano black finish

Quote Originally Posted by jdr_slp View Post
    I'd like to thank you all for the replies with your input and recommendations! I think when it comes time to start buying, I'm going to go with the Sierra-2s for L/C/R with a Rythmik LVX12. Over time, I'll add surrounds and another sub. Now, I just wish the LVX12s came in piano black finish
    I agree with what others have said, as far as a LVX12 or E15Hp would be a good sub choice. It sounds like you like to opt for the LVX12. Which will be a great fit for your room size and listening levels.

For the center channel you can do a Sierra 2, or if you need a more compact form factor you could do a Sierra Luna center, which should be coming out early next year. You could use the current production Luna as a center itself, but it won't have quite the output of the Sierra 2s. The Sierra Luna Center will be able to match the Sierra 2 in output, but not extension, yet will only be about 6 inches tall and 6 inches deep.

Quote Originally Posted by N Boros View Post
    For the center channel you can do a Sierra 2, or if you need a more compact form factor you could do a Sierra Luna center, which should be coming out early next year.
    Thanks for the reply! While browsing through the forums here, I remember seeing a prototype of the Luna center - it looked pretty nice! It definitely gives me something to think about. I think what I'll do is begin with the Sierra-2s for L/R and one Rythmik LVX12, just to enjoy some music. As time goes on, I'll add a center, surrounds, and another sub.

Money will be tight as we just purchased a new home last year and the cost of landscaping is surprisingly more astronomical than I anticipated!