Thread: Good amp Sierra 2 as desktop speakers?

Default Good amp Sierra 2 as desktop speakers?

I am planning to move my Sierra 2 to PC speaker duty. I was wondering if people here have experience in using Sierra 2 as near field speakers.

Also I am looking for a relatively inexpensive desktop amp. Any opinion on audio engine n22 ? Or something in similar ball park ?

Default Re: Good amp Sierra 2 as desktop speakers?

Quote Originally Posted by Elessar View Post
    I am planning to move my Sierra 2 to PC speaker duty. I was wondering if people here have experience in using Sierra 2 as near field speakers.

Also I am looking for a relatively inexpensive desktop amp. Any opinion on audio engine n22 ? Or something in similar ball park ?
    We have many, many customers using Sierra-2 as near field monitors (including myself). They perform exceptionally well in this role.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

I found a used Parsound Zamp on Ebay for use with my Ascend speakers with my PC. Works great!

Quote Originally Posted by davef View Post
    We have many, many customers using Sierra-2 as near field monitors (including myself). They perform exceptionally well in this role.
    I agree, I've said this before but I auditioned something like 20-30 different speakers roughly this size between $500 and $2,000 and the Sierra 1 completely ended my desire to upgrade or try anything else. I mainly upgraded from the Sierra 1 to 2 out of curiosity but it turned out to be a really solid upgrade.

I like my ELAC EA101EQ-G amp for my nearfield desktop use. The smartphone based room EQ helps easily blend the Sierra 2s with my subwoofer (SVS SB12-NSD) and also does a good job of getting rid of the most annoying room modes. I listen in a normal sized bedroom so room modes make good bass without EQ or room treatment nearly impossible. The ELAC does a very good job of not only powering the speakers but also hiding some of the worst effects of the room and the best part of the ELAC's EQ is that it only affects the bass frequencies, everything above around 200Hz is left alone so the Sierra 2s sound nice and natural. Another nice feature is the ability to play Bluetooth directly to the amp so I don't even have to turn on my computer to listen to music although sound quality is not as good as the direct USB connection to the computer.