Thread: Speaker Positioning (toe-in)

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Speaker Positioning (toe-in)

The Ascend manual recommends that speakers be placed apart .73 times the distance of the midpoint between the speakers to the listening position. The manual also then says that speakers should be toed-in so that the tweeters point directly at the listening position, about 5 or 10 degrees. From my calculations, one would need a 21.6 degree angle to have the tweeter point directly at the listening position.

I’ll lay out how I came to that conclusion below.

Let’s say we sit 10 ft from the midpoint between the speakers. That places the speakers 7.3 ft apart. Divide 7.3 by 2 and add .313 ft (for half the width of the speaker), and we get 3.96 ft. Now we can use Pythagorean theorem to find out the distance between the listening position and the tweeter. That number is 10.76 ft. When we plug these 3 numbers in, the angle of the speaker should be 21.6 degrees.

A 10 degree toe-in angle would put the listening position 22.5 ft away.

Assuming that math is correct (I hope it is because I’ve checked it about 7 times!), which guideline should be followed more literally? Tweeters pointed directly at the listener at 21.6 degrees or a toe-in angle of 5 to 10 degrees?

Thanks!
    Last edited by ed_bob; 11-24-2018 at 08:37 AM.