Thread: Where to go from here...

Default Where to go from here...

I currently have a Yamaha RX-A1000 receiver, 4 CBM-170’s for surround, CMT 340’s for front and center, and a rhythmik FV12.

So my question is, what would u guys add next? Another sub? An amplifier? New receiver? A hooker to dance on the entertainment center? I’m just really not sure which direction to go...

Thanks,
    Avery

Default Re: Where to go from here...

Random upgrade bug gotcha, huh?

I think the first thing to think about is what about your current system isn't satisfying you? Because if it ain't broke, don't fix it.
    Luna Duo V2 LR, Titan Horizon V2, and Rythmik L22 & L12 in HT, Sierra-LXs in study, S-2EXs and Duo V2 C in bedroom, S-1 NrTs in dining room, S-1s at work, HTM-200s in kitchen. Brother owns CMT-340s and dad has a pair of CBM-170s.

How big is your room?

Quote Originally Posted by mavery View Post
    ...what would u guys add next? Another sub?
    Almost certainly another sub, unless it's in a huge fully open structured house. In that case, sell what you have and buy something much bigger.

The extra sub can and should be used to control room modes (peaks and nulls). The extra volume potential won't hurt either.
    "If it sounds good, it is good." -- Duke Ellington

It’s an odd shaped room. There is a fireplace and one angled wall. I’d say the room is probably 20’x13’.

Thanks SunByrne. I think one thing is that my receiver has 2 zones so i’d Kind of like to explore that.

Quote Originally Posted by mavery View Post
    Thanks SunByrne. I think one thing is that my receiver has 2 zones so i’d Kind of like to explore that.
    Perfect! Buy another pair of speakers for another room. S1 b-stock only $678 for a pair—crazy good deal. Ascend's b-stock is pristine; I bought S1 b-stock last summer and it took me like ten minutes in really good light to even have a clue as to why they were b-stock. Turns out it was a couple small streaks of minor variation in the finish. In normal light you couldn't possibly see it unless you knew exactly where to look, and even then it'd be a challenge to see.

Also, you say your HT room is 20x13. How high is the ceiling? Is the room open to other rooms/hallways? Because if it's an enclosed 20x13 room with standard 8' ceilings, that's only about 2000 cubic feet, which is probably fine for one sub unless you have some bad room modes/nulls.

Also, which sub do you have? I can't find "FV12" on the Rythmik web site. LV12 or F12?

But if you have a big vaulted ceiling or the room is open or you like the bass really loud or you have problems with nulls/modes, then a second sub is a good plan.
    Luna Duo V2 LR, Titan Horizon V2, and Rythmik L22 & L12 in HT, Sierra-LXs in study, S-2EXs and Duo V2 C in bedroom, S-1 NrTs in dining room, S-1s at work, HTM-200s in kitchen. Brother owns CMT-340s and dad has a pair of CBM-170s.

Quote Originally Posted by SunByrne View Post
    Perfect! Buy another pair of speakers for another room. S1 b-stock only $678 for a pair—crazy good deal. Ascend's b-stock is pristine; I bought S1 b-stock last summer and it took me like ten minutes in really good light to even have a clue as to why they were b-stock. Turns out it was a couple small streaks of minor variation in the finish. In normal light you couldn't possibly see it unless you knew exactly where to look, and even then it'd be a challenge to see.

Also, you say your HT room is 20x13. How high is the ceiling? Is the room open to other rooms/hallways? Because if it's an enclosed 20x13 room with standard 8' ceilings, that's only about 2000 cubic feet, which is probably fine for one sub unless you have some bad room modes/nulls.

Also, which sub do you have? I can't find "FV12" on the Rythmik web site. LV12 or F12?

But if you have a big vaulted ceiling or the room is open or you like the bass really loud or you have problems with nulls/modes, then a second sub is a good plan.
    Yeah, the FV12 isn’t produced anymore. I wrote them a while back and they dug up all the info they could find. Here’s the web page
    http://www.rythmikaudio.com/FV12.html. There’s quite a bit of info missing but maybe it’ll give u an idea.

As far as the room, it has 10’ ceilings and a door on each side of the room. It’s an older house so there really isn’t a hallway per se, the rooms are connected and make somewhat of a circle.

Oh...and by chance my Yamaha is b stock and I’ve never had a problem with it. Actually I just found an quick guide they sent me. FV12_quickguide.pdf
    Last edited by mavery; 11-11-2018 at 10:42 PM. Reason: add attachment

Ahh, seems to be pretty much an LV12R with the port on the front.

Given your modest room size, I'd think adding a second sub (you'd want the LV12R to best match your FV12) would give you all the bass you could ever need...