Thread: Wireless speakers

Default Wireless speakers

Seems like all of the speaker companies are making a wireless model, including some pretty expensive ones like the Kii, Kef and Devialet.

Not needing separate amps, preamps, DACs, and all of the space devoted to components might be a good trade off for a possibly small decrease in stereo sound quality.

Which Ascend speaker do you think would be the best candidate?
    Last edited by Blutarsky; 11-07-2018 at 09:08 PM.

Default Re: Wireless speakers

Quote Originally Posted by Blutarsky View Post
    Not needing Amps, preamps, DACs, and all of the space devoted to components might be a good trade off for a possibly small decrease in stereo sound quality.
    You still need DACs, preamps, and amps. They just end up in the speaker and not in a box on a shelf with all the other channels' DACs, preamps, and amps. In addition to that, you have to give each speaker its own individual power supply, and you have to plug each speaker into a power outlet somewhere. So it's not like you can avoid running cables. And let's not forget that you're replacing your inexpensive, highly reliable speaker cables with expensive, unreliable radios. And you still need that big box on the shelf to handle the switching and routing of signals, and to control the wi-fi hotspot for the wireless speakers (or however you intend to broadcast each speakers signal), not to mention doing whatever signal processing (room correction, EQ, etc.) you might want.

I'm thinking that Ascend Acoustics isn't going to go this route anytime soon. But it doesn't matter what I think -- it's Dave's company and he sure as heck doesn't need my advice!
    "If it sounds good, it is good." -- Duke Ellington

I think Dave should make a really nice soundbar (powered)--yeah I know, it's stereophile heresy, but I would buy one right away as every tv room doesn't need an audio set-up (I've got two of those, also). I would be very surprised if there wasn't a large unserved market in addition.

Quote Originally Posted by shinny View Post
    I think Dave should make a really nice soundbar (powered)--yeah I know, it's stereophile heresy, but I would buy one right away as every tv room doesn't need an audio set-up (I've got two of those, also). I would be very surprised if there wasn't a large unserved market in addition.
    How about three HTM-200SEs and an inexpensive receiver?
    -curtis

Seems like all of the speaker companies are making a wireless model, including some pretty expensive ones like the Kii, Kef and Devialet.

Not needing Amps, preamps, DACs, and all of the space devoted to components might be a good trade off for a possibly small decrease in stereo sound quality.

I have mixed thoughts on this. Personally, I feel the best approach is to have passive speakers with all the power/wireless components/DSP in a separate enclosure (a modern compact receiver for example).
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

I have mixed thoughts on this. Personally, I feel the best approach is to have passive speakers with all the power/wireless components/DSP in a separate enclosure (a modern compact receiver for example).
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Use an Ascend Horizon as the only speaker and use a modest receiver in all channel stereo mode?