Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Smaller 3-way Sierra Center Channel? (Good for Media Centers?)

Default Re: Smaller 3-way Sierra Center Channel? (Good for Media Centers?)

Are you looking for a slim 3-way center speaker with the RAAL tweeter? That would be tough due to the size of the RAAL. They only way to do that is to put the RAAL and the midrange side by side as Dave has done for a few customers.

As I said, I'm not in the market right now, but eventually I'm going to replace my HT speakers, and the center has a limited space. Not sure whether I'll be doing ribbons or not yet. If I do, then the new Luna center may fit the bill regardless.
    Luna Duo V2 LR, Titan Horizon V2, and Rythmik L22 & L12 in HT, Sierra-LXs in study, S-2EXs and Duo V2 C in bedroom, S-1 NrTs in dining room, S-1s at work, HTM-200s in kitchen. Brother owns CMT-340s and dad has a pair of CBM-170s.

I too love the idea of the Horizon with the wide dispersion, and 3-way design, but it might be too tall to work for me as well. It would be nice if the tweeter could be concentric with the midrange to get the height down considerably, but then that would limit the dispersion maybe to where you would be at with an MTM design anyways. That's if you could even get a Raal ribbon tweeter to concentrically work with a midrange driver. Fortunately for me, I only plan to sit in the main listening position which is basically directly on axis and most others could not care less about the sound when they are sitting off axis. So if all that will work is a Sierra 2 or Sierra Luna Center, the difference won't be that noticeable to me.

Doing some quick calculations for a 3-way WT/MW (tweeter above midrange) design....

The absolute minimum height for RAAL ribbons is 4", which is the faceplate I designed for our models and is also being used in the OEM 64-10.

The minimum height for a 4" midrange with the performance we would require is also ~ 4"

We must then also add ~ 3/4" above the tweeter and below the midrange to account for the cabinet itself and the absolute minimum height I come up with is 9.5"... Only 1.5" shorter than the Horizon.

We can do a low profile version using our custom SEAS 1" dome found in our CBM-170 and HTM-200, but I feel options would be greatly limited since we could not offer it with a ribbon.

We could also do a version with the midrange and tweeter side by side, and we have built many of these for customers. Performance is very good, but it will not have as wide and symmetrical dispersion as our Horizon. We are actually in the process of finishing up one of these custom low profile centers for a customer and I can post a pic tomorrow after it is finished. The dimensions for this are 26" wide x 8.5" high x 14.5" deep.

Quote Originally Posted by N Boros View Post
    That's if you could even get a Raal ribbon tweeter to concentrically work with a midrange driver. Fortunately for me, I only plan to sit in the main listening position which is basically directly on axis and most others could not care less about the sound when they are sitting off axis. So if all that will work is a Sierra 2 or Sierra Luna Center, the difference won't be that noticeable to me.
    Unfortunately, it is not possible to offer a coaxial / concentric woofer with a true ribbon tweeter mounted in the pole piece.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Quote Originally Posted by davef View Post
    We could also do a version with the midrange and tweeter side by side, and we have built many of these for customers. Performance is very good, but it will not have as wide and symmetrical dispersion as our Horizon. We are actually in the process of finishing up one of these custom low profile centers for a customer and I can post a pic tomorrow after it is finished. The dimensions for this are 26" wide x 8.5" high x 14.5" deep.
    Good to know! Replacing my HT LCRs isn't going to happen for a while, but when it does, I will keep this in mind. (In my head right now, knowing this is probably 2 years out, my thoughts are dominated by Ascend, Salk, and Philharmonic...)
    Luna Duo V2 LR, Titan Horizon V2, and Rythmik L22 & L12 in HT, Sierra-LXs in study, S-2EXs and Duo V2 C in bedroom, S-1 NrTs in dining room, S-1s at work, HTM-200s in kitchen. Brother owns CMT-340s and dad has a pair of CBM-170s.

Quote Originally Posted by davef View Post
    We are actually in the process of finishing up one of these custom low profile centers for a customer and I can post a pic tomorrow after it is finished.
    Yes, please do!

Quote Originally Posted by white_darren View Post
    Yes, please do!
    Here you go...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Thanks, Dave. I would definitely consider one of those!

I'd consider one as well.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________
    HT Set-up: Anthem MRX-740, Ascend Acoustics Sierra Tower V2, Luna Duo V2 Center, Luna surrounds, Revel M55XC Heights, Rythmik F12
    Desktop/Gaming Set-up: Pioneer MRX-740 8K, Sierra LX LR, Ascend Luna V2 Center, Cambridge Minx Min 12 heights; Rythmik F12