Thread: Center Channel Choice for Low Placement

Default Center Channel Choice for Low Placement

I'm planning out a home theater and have decided on going with a 100" diagonal 16:9 screen. If my eye level of 42" is 1/3 up the screen (which is the recommendation) then that would mean that the top of the speaker would be about 26" from the ground. On the one hand I like the Horizon speaker, since it has very wide dispersion. However it would only be about 14" or 15" off of the ground and angled up towards the listening area.

The upcoming Sierra Luna Center will be only about 6" tall, which would place it about 19" or 20" off of the ground. It doesn't have the tweeter over woofer, so the dispersion wouldn't be quite as wide. I should be an excellent match to my Sierra 2's as mains though. I'm curious which would be better, where I wouldn't notice any ill effects of too low placement off of the floor in the main listening position?

Default Re: Center Channel Choice for Low Placement

I've got my Horizon 13" off the ground. No problem!

Default Re: Center Channel Choice for Low Placement

Quote Originally Posted by Brady View Post
    I've got my Horizon 13" off the ground. No problem!
    Would you say that in the main listening position, the difference between the phantom center created by the left and right speaker with the center off, is very close to what is sounds like when the center is on?