Thread: SVS Prime Elevation

Default SVS Prime Elevation

I'm looking for some height channel speakers, and I'd rather have one that is designed for flush mounting in the corner with a face that angles downward like the SVS Prime Elevation or a Boston Acoustics Bravo 20 rather than a rectangular block. White color is preferred.

Is timbre matching a big deal for height effects? Does anyone have other recommendations?
    Last edited by bkdc; 08-13-2018 at 12:16 PM.

Default Re: SVS Prime Elevation

Funny you should ask this now, as there was just a small flame war over on AVS on this topic.

Purists argue that since Dolby designed the system for timbre-matched speakers, it is critical to timbre-match.

Others argue that as long as the heights are reasonably similar in FR, it's not that big a deal.

So YMMV.
    Luna Duo V2 LR, Titan Horizon V2, and Rythmik L22 & L12 in HT, Sierra-LXs in study, S-2EXs and Duo V2 C in bedroom, S-1 NrTs in dining room, S-1s at work, HTM-200s in kitchen. Brother owns CMT-340s and dad has a pair of CBM-170s.

A few years ago I did a head to head comparison of the Sierra 2s, SVS Ultra Bookshelf speakers and Aperion Verus Grand 3 ways for my mains. The Sierra 2s were my preferred choice and I felt that the extra approximate 50% cost was worth it. Though I preferred the Sierra 2s (most likely because of the RAAL ribbon tweeter), I did find the SVS speakers to be neutral with wide dispersion. They were easy to drive off of just my AVR, as well. The finish on them was excellent. If you are using them as overhead Atmos speaker and you like the form factor, I think they would be excellent. I would imagine that all speakers in the SVS line have this similar neutral, wide dispersion design goal to them, so that they all play well together. So they should blend well with Ascend speakers.

I'm planning to upgrade to Atmos in my dedicated theater area within the next year and will go with in ceiling speakers, because that is likely going to give the best performance. But, it is also because I have a drop ceiling, so installing and even moving them to different locations if need be is very easy and doesn't cost hardly anything. Though the SVS prime elevation can be a compromise if they aren't placed within Dolby's guidelines, I still think they will be much better than upfiring modules. I too would probably opt for the SVS Prime Elevation speakers if I were to do an Atmos setup in a living roof, for example, where they are so much easier to mount than installing in-ceiling speakers.

As far as perfect timbre matching between all speakers including Atmos speakers, Rob H who is the co-host of AVRant has a 11 or 13 channel Atmos setup with all Ascend speakers. I think they all have the Raal ribbon tweeter, as well. He has said that timbre matching to the point where they all have the Raal ribbon tweeter is really not necessary, because our ability to hear overhead and behind us is nowhere near as good as it is directly to the side and in front of us. He often has recommended to save the money on surround backs and overhead Atmos speakers and just look for a well designed speaker that is close in timbre to what you already have. So for Ascend speakers either the SVS or Boston Acoustics speakers should be fine.

I agree with the above comments. I don't think timbre matching is essential. I tried the HTM-200s on both my front and side walls but didn't get a convincing effect of overhead sound. Now I have the 200s behind me at the top of the back wall and cheap Polk OWM3s mounted overhead. It sounds good to me, especially for movies encoded in Atmos. My room is basically square and about 15ft wide, so that might be why I didn't have good results with speakers mounted high on the side walls.
    Nate

I've heard several say that mounting speakers up high, whether front, back or side walls, doesn't give all that convincing of an overhead sound. And that the only good way of getting that is by having speakers on or in ceiling. I can't say myself, but that what I plan to shoot for.