Thread: Luna Monitor and Subwoofer Question

Default Luna Monitor and Subwoofer Question

Using Luna Ascend with a NAD D3020 integrated amp and adding a MartinLogan first generation subwoofer, which has a low pass filter, LFE as well as preout and speaker level inputs. The low pass filter is only active if you use preout input or connect speaker output to the sub and then to the speakers.

My question is: Do I run a risk of harming the Luna monitors if I just drive it, and use the LFE input to the sub leaving the system with no low pass filter? Not listening at high volume, this is a desktop computer setup.

Addendum: There is conflicting information about the NAD D3020 regarding the high pass filter function. Best I can determine it just applies a slight decibel decrease above 100Hz. I've set up my system with just sub out to sub and mains to Lunas. Sounds good, with excellent base extension in my 1,000 ft.3 office.
    Last edited by JAM-MAN; 08-08-2018 at 10:36 AM.

Default Re: Luna Monitor and Subwoofer Question

Quote Originally Posted by JAM-MAN View Post
    Using Luna Ascend with a NAD D3020 integrated amp and adding a MartinLogan first generation subwoofer, which has a low pass filter, LFE as well as preout and speaker level inputs. The low pass filter is only active if you use preout input or connect speaker output to the sub and then to the speakers.

My question is: Do I run a risk of harming the Luna monitors if I just drive it, and use the LFE input to the sub leaving the system with no low pass filter? Not listening at high volume, this is a desktop computer setup.

Addendum: There is conflicting information about the NAD D3020 regarding the high pass filter function. Best I can determine it just applies a slight decibel decrease above 100Hz. I've set up my system with just sub out to sub and mains to Lunas. Sounds good, with excellent base extension in my 1,000 ft.3 office.
    No risk at all running the Luna's full range. The custom built 4.5" woofer has the same power handling and excursion as the 6" woofer we use in the 2's... I have been running a pair of Luna's in my bedroom with no sub (speakers full range) and the deep bass boosted up +3dB to compensate for no sub (keeps the wife happy too). We use these for movies and music, and often at loud volume levels....
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Quote Originally Posted by davef View Post
    No risk at all running the Luna's full range. The custom built 4.5" woofer has the same power handling and excursion as the 6" woofer we use in the 2's... I have been running a pair of Luna's in my bedroom with no sub (speakers full range) and the deep bass boosted up +3dB to compensate for no sub (keeps the wife happy too). We use these for movies and music, and often at loud volume levels....
    How did you boost the bass? A common receiver control?

Quote Originally Posted by jimb View Post
    How did you boost the bass? A common receiver control?
    Yes -- the receiver I am using with these has a basic PEQ
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com