Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: ATI AT5xxNC Class D Amps

Default Re: ATI AT5xxNC Class D Amps

thanks for the additional comments.

Not 100% set on class D, although I like that they are more efficient, run cooler, and not as heavy as class a/b amps.

dfurry - ATI only use the Ncore modules for the amplification stage. Everything else is in-house design (input stage, output stage, power supply - which is their torroidal (not switching)... likely as they make them in house).

jimb -

did Dave recommend against Class D on this forum or elsewhere? in either case, will likely ask his input when I get closer to pulling the trigger.

I've communicated with ATI and one of their dealers. ATI says both are as neutral as they can make them. As I recall, the dealer indicated only one of his customers thought the class D was a bit bright.

I've read the two reviews (although I do take professional reviews with a grain of salt), as well as several forums. Several manufacturers use the Hypex NCore (Nord, Apollon, believe NAD). Found a couple of other US companies, although they use different modules (Class D Audio - ? module; D-Sonic - Pascal).

I did hear the D-Sonic -- their showroom is about 15 minutes from my office. In his system, the amp sounded fine - I didn't hear any distortion, brightness, or coloring. They also have a 30 day in-home trial.

Eventually, 9 channels of amplification, although front three are priority. So, either 3 + 6 or 9 channels in one chassis would be ultimate (one less box and power cord :-))

Like you mentioned, comes down to how they sound in my system and with the RAAL-equipped speakers.

Quote Originally Posted by racrawford65 View Post
    thanks for the additional comments.
    jimb -

did Dave recommend against Class D on this forum or elsewhere? in either case, will likely ask his input when I get closer to pulling the trigger.
    It was several posts up in the "Preamp/Amp Suggestion for Sierra 2" thread you referenced earlier, so I thought it was the basis for your concern. However, it was at a time that Dave might not have had a chance to hear the latest generation amps. He might have a different opinion today.

thanks, JimB, for pointing out that thread (dfurry referenced it). My concern was that some forum posts suggested class D amps were harsh and/or bright, but this seems to be more related to earlier generations as don't see too many posts about this on current ncore or pascal amps.