Thread: Luna Monitor

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Luna Monitor

I purchased a single Luna monitor to use as a center speaker in a 3.1 setup consisting of Anthem 1120 AV Receiver, B&W 685 L&R speakers, a MartinLogan sealed woofer, and the Luna positioned under the screen of a 65" LG OLED C8 TV. The room is very dynamic with large windows and open with 10' ceilings, 15' wide and 25' long. However, we sit quite close to the speakers and screen as it is not a dedicated listening space. The construction and finish are first rate. You can see a bit of the bamboo texture remaining through the espresso finish but this only adds to the non-vinyl look.

The Luna more than held its own against the 685s, made a terrific center speaker for dialog as well as other sounds. The bass is quite remarkable for such a small speaker, and the higher tones clear and musical without obvious coloration. Listening to a variety of Spotify tracks designed to test speakers revealed no weaknesses. Finally, I converted my 2013 Mac Pro to monaural out using the Accessibility panel, and used the single speaker to play a variety of high quality Spotify tracks.

Bottom line: A terrific small speaker for surrounds, small spaces, and center in a home theater setup. I look forward to the dedicated Luna Center and am even considering Lunas with a Rhythmic sub for our main system as we don't listen at high SPL. I've been looking at Ascend for a long time, and have a complete system ordered (Sierra Towers, Horizon Center, Rhythmic Sub). I've ordered 3 more Lunas to complement this. Great value for the dollar and terrific customer service. Couldn't be more pleased so far.

A quick addendum: Listening to Spotify (mono still) with Luna next to monitor and about 2' from a corner and wall, I noticed the bass was accentuated, and not in a good way to my ears (I don't speak audophile, I'm a scientist by training). Anyway, I downloaded an equalizer plug-in for OS X (eqMac2 - open source) and dropped output @32 Hz as low as possible, and @64Hz about 20% (there's no dB scale). Cleaned up base nicely. As this is a common computer sound scenario, thought I'd pass this along.
    Last edited by JAM-MAN; 07-30-2018 at 01:18 PM. Reason: added information on bass